Dispersed Camping

Most of the land in Inyo and Mono counties is publicly owned. Dispersed camping (camping outside of designated campgrounds) is allowed throughout much of the area. If you plan to backpack into a wilderness area to camp, you will need a wilderness permit; contact a ranger station to obtain one. In all other instances, if you wish to camp outside of developed campgrounds/sites, there are a few things you need to know:

Land Ownership: The three major land-owning agencies in the Eastern Sierra are the Forest Service, the Bureau of Land Management, and the City of L...

[Expand Text]

Dispersed Camping Areas