Motor Vehicle Use Map


In compliance with the November 2005 USDA Final Rule for Motorized Vehicle Recreation in National Forests and Grasslands, each national forest is required to identify and designate those roads, trails and areas that are open to motor vehicle use.

Some national forests, including the Bankhead, Conecuh, Talladega and Tuskegee National Forests, have already established systems of roads and trails designated and managed for motorized use. The new rule does not require those units to change existing plans. However, all national forests are required to publish a motor vehicle use map and make it available to the public.

The map is legal documentation displaying the roads and trails that are open to public motor vehicle use. If a road or trail does not appear on the map it means that it is not open to public vehicular use. The map will be reviewed and updated annually.

The motor vehicle use map for the Bankhead, Conecuh, Talladega, and Tuskegee National Forests is available at USDA Forest Service offices in Montgomery, Double Springs, Andalusia, Brent, Helfin, Talladega, and Tuskegee, Alabama.  You can also download MVUM map booklets from the page below.

The motor vehicle use map is black and white and does not provide much information besides the roads and trails open to motor vehicles. It's not a very good map for recreation orientation use (hunters, hikers, etc.). The maps only show open roads. Existing national forest maps, such as the forest visitor map or the trail guide, that show open and closed roads, trails (hiking, biking, horse), recreation sites, etc. are available for public use. These maps show much greater detail than the motor vehicle use maps do.

There are no changes to where motorized vehicles are permitted in the Bankhead, Conecuh, Talladega and Tuskegee National Forests – no open roads have been closed & no closed roads have been opened as a result of the rule requiring the maps

Have questions about motorized vehicles in the National Forests in Alabama?  Know Before You Go...Travel Tips Q&A

There are six map booklets (8.5 x 11) that covers one of our six administrative districts.

Motor Vehicle Use Maps are downloadable by clicking on the appropriate link below:

All of these files require Adobe Reader for viewing.