Release Date: Dec 17, 2010  

Kemmerer, Wyo. – The Bridger-Teton Resource Advisory Committee (RAC) for Lincoln and Sublette Counties is now accepting project proposals for natural resource improvements on or adjacent to National Forest lands from any interested person or organization. Project proposals are due Friday, January 28, 2011 (COB). The Forest is accepting project proposals for both 2011 and 2012 seasons.

“The RAC will be very busy this year because they have about three years worth of money for a total of approximately $200,000” said Tracy Hollingshead, Designated Federal Official (DFC) for the RAC. “The authority of the RAC to recommend projects expires on September 30, 2011, so the RAC will need to complete recommendations for two year’s worth of projects in the next ten months.

Project funds have been made available under Title II of the Secure Rural Schools and Community Self-Determination Act of 2008, which was enacted to 1) stabilize the payments rural counties receive from the federal government for roads and schools; 2) to create additional employment opportunities through projects that improve the maintenance of existing infrastructure and have objectives that may include road, trail, and infrastructure maintenance or obliteration, soil productivity improvement, improvements in forest ecosystem health, watershed restoration and maintenance, improvement of wildlife and fish habitat, control of noxious and exotic weeds, and the reestablishment of native species; and 3) to improve cooperative relationships among the people that use and care for Federal land, and the agencies that manage the Federal land.

Counties that are participating under Title II of the Secure Rural Schools Act are Sublette and Lincoln. The RAC will review proposals and recommend for funding the highest ranking projects on the Bridger-Teton National Forests and adjacent lands within these counties.
Although The Act provides for a wide range of project types, projects must be on the Bridger-Teton National Forest and/or benefit National Forest resources adjacent to National Forest lands. At least fifty percent of all project funds must be used for projects that restore streams and watersheds.

Any proposed projects located on the Bridger-Teton National Forest need to be coordinated with the local District Ranger. Project proposals must be submitted electronically. Once submitted, the project cannot be changed. Therefore, please download the project form from the website to your computer and work in it offline. When completed move the information back to the website and submit. The form and directions for completion are available at the website: or

For more information or assistance in completing the proposal form, contact the Designated Federal Official, Tracy Hollingshead, US Forest Service, 308 US Hwy 189, Kemmerer, WY 83101. To contact by phone, call 307-828-5100.