Raptor and Raptor Habitat Management
The Cleveland National Forest has been working hard to ensure that raptors and their habitat across the Forest is proactively managed. Area closures have been used to protect nesting Prairie Falcons, Peregrine Falcons, and Golden Eagles.
If you are interested in learning more, please visit the links below.
There are six raptor nesting sites are currently in need of protection. Four of these sites are located on the Cleveland National Forest, and two sites are on BLM lands. (BLM is an active member of the working group). The sites are:
- Glencliff, Descanso Ranger District, Cleveland National Forest
- Corte Madera, Descanso Ranger District, Cleveland National Forest
- Eagle Peak, Palomar Ranger District, Cleveland National Forest
- Gower Mountain, San Diego County Parks and Palomar Ranger District, Cleveland National Forest
- Rock Mountain, BLM, administered by San Diego County Parks and Recreation Department
- El Cajon Mountain, BLM administered by San Diego County Parks and Recreation Department
2015-2016 - Closures and Advisories
The closure at Glencliff is effect as of December 15, 2015. Advisories at Eagle Peak and Corte Madera Mountain are in effect as of March 1, 2016. This is in effect for all usage including hiking, biking, equestrian, or other trail usage.
Current nesting status
- Glencliff: Will be posted as information becomes available
- Corte Madera Mountain: Will be posted as information becomes available.
- Eagle Peak: Will be posted as information becomes available
Nesting Activities 2014 and prior
- Glencliff: Golden Eagle nests were initiated in 2008, 2009, and 2010; nests failed all three years. This nest fledged one eaglet in 2011. Nest failed in 2012, 2013, and 2014.
- Gower: Golden Eagles initiated nesting but were unsuccessful in Spring 2010 -2012; no activity in 2013, 2014.
- Corte Madera: Peregrine Falcons nested successfully at Corte Madera in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, nested but success not confirmed for 2013 and 2014.
- Eagle Peak: Prairie Falcons nested at this site in 2009. Prairie Falcons and Peregrine Falcons attempted nesting in 2010; both nests failed. Both species of falcons nested successfully in 2011 and 2012; falcons nested but success not confirmed in 2013 and 2014.
- Rock Mountain: Nesting activity did not occur at the Rock Mountain site in 2009-2014.
- El Cajon Mountain: Golden Eagles nested successfully at this site in 2009, after relocating twice between alternate nest sites. The Golden Eagle nest at El Cajon Mountain was not successful in Spring 2010. This nest was successful and fledged young in 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014.
For additional information, please contact the Cleveland National Forest at 858-673-6180.