Coconino National Forest - Welcome!
Photo (above, Flickr): October 4, 2015 - Aspens turning along Abineau Trail. The trail is one leg of the Abineau-Bear Jaw Loop which ascends the northern slopes of the San Francisco Peaks and provides a fantastic fall color view experience. The fall color season has arrived in Lockett Meadow, the Inner Basin, Mt. Elden, and the northern flanks of the Peaks. See Fall Colors on the Coconino for resources to help you plan your autumn adventures. Photo by Deborah Lee Soltesz. Credit: USDA Forest Service, Coconino National Forest.
The Coconino National Forest is one of the most diverse National Forests in the country with landscapes ranging from the famous red rocks of Sedona to Ponderosa pine forests, from southwestern desert to alpine tundra. Explore mountains and canyons, fish in small lakes, and wade in lazy creeks and streams.
Enjoy our website! If you cannot find what you are looking for, please either fill out the on-line comment form or call us at 928-527-3600.
If you are experiencing smoke impacts from a fire on the Coconino NF, please submit a smoke report or complaint and we will get your information to fire managers and forest leadership.
Notes & Notices
- Fall Colors As of October 4, 2015, fall colors are in full swing Lockett Meadow, Inner Basin, the north flanks of the Peaks, and Mt. Elden. Thunderstorms and chilly temperatures are forecast for early in the week, but the the weather is expected to turn to clear skies and warmer days.
- Alert Vehicle access to Lockett Meadow and Inner Basin Trailhead to be managed for fall color viewing first two weekends of October 2015 The number vehicles for day use of the meadow will be limited, and traffic will be managed to increase safety along the steep, narrow road to the meadow. Expect delays when Lockett Meadow is at capactity. Call Flagstaff Ranger District at 928-526-0866 for more details.
- Alert Fall 2015 Prescribed Burn Season [Inciweb]: Starting the week of October 5, 2015, prescribed burns are planned for areas near east Flagstaff, Munds Park, Mormon Lake, and Blue Ridge.
- Closure C.C. Cragin (Blue Ridge) Reservoir road and boat ramp to close for the season on September 8, 2015: Forest Road 751 will be closed just past Rock Crossing Campground during construction and improvements to the road and boat ramp.
- Closure Cinder Hills Off Highway Vehicle Area - FR 776 Partial Closure (map, 600kB): Off-road travel between FR 545 and FR 776 is prohibited.
- Closure Palatki Heritage Site: Closed October 17, 2015 for a volunteer appreciation event.
- New!Red Rock Country Recreation Maps Download trail and recreation maps for the Oak Creek Canyon and Sedona, Arizona area.