Coconino National Forest - Welcome!
Thanksgiving Hours: All Coconino National Forest offices, visitor centers, and heritage sites will close Wednesday at 1:00PM and all day Thursday, November 26, 2015 in observance of the Thanksgiving holiday. Regular business hours resume Friday, November 27.
Christmas Tree Season: November 20 - December 24, 2015. Every Kid in a Park (aka 4th Grade Pass) pass holders get a free Christmas tree permit! For details and a map of the cutting area, see 2015 Christmas Tree Permits and Cutting Area.
November 23, 2015: All offices have Sold out of Christmas tree tags. Each office does have a few Every Kid in a Park fourth grade pass Christmas tree tags.
These neighboring Forests may have tags available: Kaibab, Apache-Sitgreaves, and Tonto. Call ahead!
The Coconino National Forest is one of the most diverse National Forests in the country with landscapes ranging from the famous red rocks of Sedona to Ponderosa pine forests, from southwestern desert to alpine tundra. Explore mountains and canyons, fish in small lakes, and wade in lazy creeks and streams.
Enjoy our website! If you cannot find what you are looking for, please either fill out the on-line comment form or call us at 928-527-3600.
If you are experiencing smoke impacts from a fire on the Coconino NF, please submit a smoke report or complaint and we will get your information to fire managers and forest leadership.
Notes & Notices
- Notice Proposed Changes to Road and Area Designations: Read about proposed changes to road, trail, camping corridor, and other area designations for motor vehicle use on the Coconino National Forest. Public comments are welcome!
- Ski & Snowplay Winter Recreation Information and Map: Get information and a map of winter recreation sites around the Forest and throughout the Flagstaff area. The Arizona Snowbowl opened November 20, 2015... the earliest opening in 35 years!
- Backcountry Permits Kachina Peaks Wilderness Winter Backcountry Permits are available now at the Supervisor's Office and Flagstaff Ranger District office. See Avalanche and Winter Safety for tons of great local winter weather, education, and safety resources.
- Area Closure Cinch Hook Pit Closure [PDF, Forest Order 04-14-01R]: Cinch Hook Pit remains closed to visitors. Do not enter the pit area, and obey the no parking signs along Highways 87 and 260 in the area of the pit.
- Open for Comment Red Rock Pass Program Proposed Changes: Learn about proposed changes to the Red Rock Pass Program and how you can provide input to the program. Please submit your comments by January 1, 2016.
- Job Opportunities The Spring 2016 Fire Hire runs from November 2 to December 1, 2015. Vacancy announcements will be open on USAJobs for fire suppression and prevention positions on Arizona's National Forests and throughout the Southwest region.
- Wilding Season Permit sales for live tree collection runs through November 27, 2015. For more details, see the wilding season announcement.
- Prescribed Burns Fall 2015 Prescribed Burn Season [Inciweb]: Prescribed pile burns are planned for north of Flagstaff and near Munds Park. Other burns may be scheduled as weather permits.