Coconino, Kaibab, Prescott and Tonto National Forests to implement Stage II Fire Restrictions on June 19
Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
Coconino NF: Brienne Magee, (928) 527-8290,
Prescott NF: Debbie Maneely, (928) 443-8130,
Kaibab NF: Jacqueline Banks, (928) 635-8314
ARIZONA (June 14, 2013) – Due to increasing fire danger, the Coconino, Kaibab, Prescott and Tonto National Forests in Arizona will implement Stage II fire restrictions effective Wednesday, June 19, at 8 a.m. These additional fire restrictions will remain in effect until forest officials determine that conditions have changed sufficiently to reduce the risk of human-caused wildfire.
Stage II fire restrictions prohibit the following:
1. Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, charcoal, coal, or stove fire, including fires in developed campgrounds and improved sites.
2. Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building.
3. Discharging a firearm, air rifle, or gas gun, except while engaged in a lawful hunt pursuant to state, federal, or tribal laws and regulations.
4. Operating any internal combustion engine from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
5. Welding or operating acetylene or other torch with an open flame.
Exemptions to the restrictions include the following:
1. Using a device fueled solely by liquid petroleum or LPG fuels that can be turned on and off. Such devices can only be used in an area that is barren or cleared of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within three feet of the device.
2. Operating generators with an approved spark arresting device within an enclosed vehicle or building or in an area that is barren or cleared of all overhead and surrounding flammable materials within three feet of the generator.
3. Operating motorized vehicles in compliance with forest Travel Management regulations.
In addition to the four forests implementing Stage II fire restrictions, the Kaibab National Forest is also closing the Bill Williams Mountain Watershed on the Williams Ranger District to public entry.
Know Before You Go! The public can obtain additional fire information via the following:
• Arizona Fire Restrictions http://firerestrictions.us/az/
• Arizona Fire Prevention & Information (fire restrictions & red flag alerts) http://wildlandfire.az.gov/
• Fire Restrictions on Public Lands in Arizona and New Mexico 1-877-864-6985
• Coconino NF Website www.fs.usda.gov/coconino
• Kaibab NF Website www.fs.usda.gov/kaibab
• Prescott NF Website www.fs.usda.gov/prescott
• Tonto NF Website www.fs.usda.gov/tonto