Event/Commercial Permits

All commercial activities and events on the Coconino Forest require a permit. Some non-commercial recreational gatherings require a permit, depending on the activity. For information specific to the Red Rock District, click the "Related Links" in the right column.


Weddings, Family Gatherings, and Other Large Groups

A Special Use Permit is required for groups larger than 75 people, or for any size group which charges a fee to attend an event. While a group of less than 75 people may not require a permit, there are some regulations to be aware of.

Since each district is unique, we recommend that you contact the Ranger District where you intend to hold your event or group activity for specific information in applying.

Here are some things to consider. This list is not all-inclusive.

  • For any group activity, toilet facilities are required for groups greater than 25 people and/or groups staying longer than 24 hours.
  • All garbage associated with the event must be picked up and removed. Incorporate "Leave No Trace" principles during your visit.
  • Any and all fire restrictions require full compliance, and the group is required to supply adequate water and tools for properly extinguishing any campfires built.
  • Introduction of non-native species is prohibited. This means, use of birdseed, rose petals, rice, etc. are not allowed.
  • Some areas of the forest will not accommodate groups due to resource damage. Please contact the district office for information.


Wedding and Event Venues

Arizona Nordic Village and the Arizona Snowbowl near Flagstaff, Arizona feature facilities for hosting weddings, including furnishings, aco, and more. Contact each location for details.


Can I hold my wedding at Crescent Moon Ranch?

Yes! Weddings at Crescent Moon Ranch are by reservation only.

  • For parties of 15 or fewer people (including officiant and photographer), reservations may be made by calling the concessioniare at 928-204-0028.
  • Groups larger than 15 are required to rent the ramada; this may be done by calling 877-444-6777 or online at www.recreation.gov.
  • See "Wedding Policy for Crescent Moon"


Filming and Photography

A permit is required for commercial filming or photography on public lands, such as film for movie-making or commercials as well as for photos for commercial use.

More information is available at USDA Forest Service Directives and Filming Permit Link

Permits are issued by the district office in which the activity will take place. Please contact the appropriate district office.


Back to Passes and Permits