Travel Management Overview

National forests are required to designate a system of roads, trails, and areas that are open to motor vehicle use for both off-highway and highway-legal vehicles.  The goal of the Colville National Forest’s travel management process is to create a safe and sustainable road and trail system that provides recreational opportunities and appropriate access while protecting forest resources.  The Forest is committed to doing this openly and collaboratively with the interested public.  For information on public involvement, input, and collaboration conducted to date, click on the link below.

Motor Vehicle Use Maps(MVUM) now on Avenza!

If you own a mobile device such as an iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch or Android (4.0.3 or newer), you can take the Colville National Forest MVUMs with you.

An application logo showing a map with a site pintpointed on it.

1. Download the Avenza PDFMaps app, available at to your mobile device.

2. Once you have Avenza on your mobile device, use your device to download the maps at while running the app select 'Get Maps' and search for “Colville MVUM” to download MVUMs for Northeast, Northwest, Southeast, and Southwest parts of the Colville Natioanl Forest.

With the app and maps installed on your mobile device, you will be able to:

  • View your location on the PDF maps using the built-in GPS device 
  • Measure distances and areas
  • Plot waypoints 
  • View maps offline
  • And more…

Through a no-cost contract with Avenza Systems, Inc., the USDA Forest Service has made electronic versions of its Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUMs) available as free downloads for smartphones and tablets.  

Motor Vehicle Use Maps(MVUM)

 ****2013 Motor Vehicle Use Maps are still valid****   

The Motor Vehicle Use Map shows the roads, trails and areas where you can take your Off Highway Vehicle.   These roads, trails and areas are designated by type of motor vehicle allowed and the allowable season of use.

For example, on National Forest System Roads that allow motor vehicle use the 2 primary designations are Roads Open to Highway Legal Vehicles Only and Roads Open to All Vehicles.

Some examples of the vehicle types that are highway legal are:  passenger cars, pickup trucks, SUVs and motorcycles that by state law are licensed for general operation on all public roads within the state.

Some examples of vehicles that are not highway legal include: ATVs, UTVs (side by sides), off road motorcycles, golf carts and any other motor vehicle that by state law is not licensed for general operation on all public roads in the state.

A road that is designated as open to all motor vehicles allows any motor vehicle both licensed and unlicensed for general operation on all public roads in the state which would include all Off Highway Vehicles.

Refer to the appropriate Motor Vehicle Use Map to determine the allowed motor vehicle use for a specific National Forest System road, trail or area.  These maps are available at all National Forest offices and on all National Forest web sites.  Call your national forest if you have questions.

Motor Vehicle Use Maps depict the existing system of roads and trails available to different classes of motor vehicles. These maps are available at any of the offices listed below or on-line by clicking on the following links.

**The pdf files below require Adobe Acrobat. They are large files that may take some time to access depending upon what type of internet connection you have. We apologize for this inconvenience.

About the MVUMs

  • The MVUMs implement the 2005 Travel Management Rule and are tied to a National regulation (CFR §261.13) that restricts motor vehicle use to roads, trails, and areas designated on the motor vehicle use maps
  • Travel management is a, on-going process and our designations may change on an annual basis.  Check with your local Forest Service office to ensure you have the most current map. 
  • There is no allowance for using motor vehicles off of designated roads and trails for retrieving game. 
  • Special provisions are provided for disabled hunters through the Disabled Hunter Access Program.

Travel Management References and Links

County Websites

Supervisor's Office
765 S. Main
Colville, WA 99114
(509) 684-7000 (Toll Free 1-877-727-8704)

Newport Ranger Station
315 N. Warren
Newport, WA 99156
(509) 447-7300

Republic Ranger Station
650 E. Delaware
Republic, WA 99166
(509) 775-7400

Sullivan Lake Ranger Station
12641 Sullivan Lake Rd
Metaline Falls, WA 99153
(509) 446-7500

Three Rivers Ranger Station
255 W. 11th
Kettle Falls, WA 99141
(509) 738-7700

Bureau of Land Management
Spokane District Office
1103 N. Fancher Road
Spokane, WA 99212
(509) 536-1200