The Curlew National Grassland comprises 47,000 acres of public land. It was originally established to improve the soils and vegetation.
Historically the Curlew Grassland, in Southeastern Idaho, was inhabited by the Bannock and Shoshone Indian Tribes before the settlement of the pioneers. In the late 1800s and early 1900s the Curlew Valley had a ranch on every 160 acres. When drought years of the late 20's and early 30's came, the land wouldn't support these homesteads. Many fields were badly eroded.
The Federal Government purchased several thousands of these acres between 1934 and 1942. Today the Curlew National Grassland is administered by the Forest Service, and managed to promote and demonstrate grassland agriculture and sustained-yield management of forage, fish and wildlife, water and recreation resources.