GMUG National Forest Road Conditions
Check county websites (links below) for mountain pass spring openings and fall closures.
Know before you go....
- Many forest roads are gravel and rough.
- High clearance vehicles are advised. Stay on your side of the road.
- Travel mountain passes in high clearance vehicles.
- Forest Service Roads are not plowed in winter. Check the weather before venturing onto Forest roads in winter.
- Be prepared and be safe!
Current Conditions - Winter 2015/2016
Know before you go - check out COtrip (CDOT's) Road Cameras!
Please check county road conditions for specific areas and the closures. Please refer to the MVUM maps (seasonal designation table) for roads closed to motorized travel. These closures are to protect wildlife on their designated winter range. Generally these closures begin either December 1, 2015 or January 1, 2016 and will remain in effect until April 15, 2016 or later.
Grand Mesa (Fruita Division, and Uncompahgre Plateau portion of the Grand Valley Ranger District):
Uncompahgre Plateau (Plateau and Mountain Division)
March 18,2016 - Regardless of how green the valleys are, there is a lot of snow in the higher elevations. Above about 8000’ the snow pack is consistent. The best access points to get to solid snow on the Uncompahgre Plateau is Dave Wood on the Uncompahgre side and 25 Mesa on the San Miguel side. In the mountains all the access points are still good. Expect inconsistent snow pack at snow line. Above snow line the snow is very consolidated to a point that a pair of hiking boots will get you almost anywhere, so skis, fat tires, or a machine will allow one to cover many miles with little effort. Under that hard crust, there are very large ice crystals (classic corn snow). It is early spring so the present conditions are subject to change.
- Road Status Report: May 25, 2016
- Seasonal restrictions for wildlife winter range are in effect from 12/1 until 4/16. This seasonal restriction doesn’t allow motorized travel within the closure area during the closure period to protect wildlife winter range. Gates will be closed on December 1.
- Seasonal restrictions for soft bed road protection are in effect until 5/15 or when road conditions warrant opening the gates for travel.
Expect winter conditions on all travel routes.
North Fork - Paonia District:
Kebler Pass Road, Gunnison County Road 12, is CLOSED
- See Paonia Road Update.
Gunnison - Gunnison District:
- Road Status Report -
- The following areas have seasonal closures for Sage-grouse and big game protection:
- Almont Triangle seasonal wildlife closures - December 1- May 15 (Map)
- Flat Top Mountain seasonal wildlife closures - January 1- June 15 (Map)
- The following areas have seasonal motorized closures to protect spring big game calving areas and fall wildlife security (these areas are only closed to motorized users, they are open to foot/horse travel).
- Rosebud Trail #423 & Cement Mountain #553 are closed to motorized use Oct. 1 – June 15 annually
- Calf Creek Plateau #458 & Cannibal Plateau #464 are closed to motorized use Oct. 1 – June 30 annually
County Road Conditions
Colorado State Road Reports
More Information on GMUG National Forest Roads