Christmas Tree Permits
Hunting for a holiday tree is a great adventure into the forest and a memorable tradition!
PERMITS: 2015 Permit Information (print)
- Forest Service tree permits are $8.00 each.
- One tree per permit.
- Limit 5 permits per household.
- For personal use only - not for resale.
- All sales final and non-refundable.
FOURTH GRADERS! You can get a free holiday tree as part of the "Every kid in a Park" program. Go to the website EveryKidinPark.gov, complete the voucher and bring the voucher or the durable pass to a Forest Service office (not a vendor) to receive a one holiday tree permit free-of-charge! Happy Tree Hunting!
PERMIT SALE DATES and CUTTING DATES: 2015 Permit sales start on November 16 and will end December 31 (4:30 PM).
PERMIT EXPIRATION DATE: Permits expire at midnight December 31, 2015
TREE SPECIES: Subalpine fir, Engelmann spruce, lodgepole pine, Pinyon pine, Juniper-local restrictions may apply - ask at local district offices. (Tree Species Identification Guide)
- Tree height maximum is 20 feet.
- Topping of trees is not allowed (i.e. cutting the top of tree and leaving the lower portion with limbs attached).
- Tag tree(s) before leaving the cutting area - rap tag around a large sturdy lower limb or tree trunk – each tag has adhesive on backside to ensure firm grip.
- Permits must be clearly visible on trees when transporting by vehicle.
- Cutting is permitted only on the federal lands for which the permit is issued.
- Respect private property rights and watch for no trespassing signs – know where you are before you cut.
- CUTTING PROHIBITED – Within administrative sites, picnic areas, campgrounds, trailheads, scenic pullouts, tree plantations, timber sales,wilderness areas, within and/or adjacent to cross country ski areas, along Forest trails and/or downhill ski areas, other areas signed or mapped as “closed to cutting” or on other areas spedific to each District. Ask before you go for any additional restricted areas.
- Pack out your trash.
- All Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forest Travel Plan Management Restrictions apply - obtain MVUM maps at Forest Service Offices listed below.
- Keep motorized vehicles on designated routes that are open to the mode of vehicle you are using.
- Do not drive on designated and groomed snowmobile trails - designated routes are closed when there is sufficient snow to maintain trail grooming with snow equipment.
- Park in locations, away from the road right-of-way and where you can safely park and access to search for a tree.
- Watch for logging truck traffic on plowed forest roads.
- Check for local weather and travel advisory information.
- Four-wheel drive vehicle or chains.
- Full tank of gas.
- Handsaw, axe, shovel for digging snow.
- Tarp, rope or tie-downs.
- Dress appropriately for winter weather.
- Sled, snowshoes are advisable at higher elevations.
- First-aid kit, food, extra water, blanket, warm liquids.
- Be cautious/avoid areas with dead/dying trees that may fall without warning while cutting Christmas trees.
MAPS - suggested tree cutting areas
LOCATIONS TO OBTAIN PERMITS:
Offices are closed on observed holidays (November 26, and December 25).
Please call vendors to be sure permits are still available, and check on business hours which may vary.
Permits (FS=Forest Service; BLM=Bureau of Land Management) are on sale in:
Valley Ranch - 54454 US 330, Collbran; (970) 487-3000 (FS tree permits)
- Weekdays 6:00 am - 6:00 pm
- Saturday and Sunday 8:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Closed Thanksgiving and Christmas Day
Grand Mesa, Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forest: 2250 Hwy 50; (970) 874-6600: Weekdays 8:00 am - 5:00 pm (FS & BLM)
Grand Valley Ranger District: 2777 Crossroads Blvd. Suite 1; (970) 242-8211 (FS tree permits)
Grand Junction BLM Field Office: (970) 257-4800 (BLM permits)
Glade Park Store: 16498 Ds Rd, Glade Park (970) 242-5421 (BLM tree permits)
Murdoch's 3217 I-70 business loop, Clifton (970) 523-7515 (FS tree permits)
Gunnison Ranger District: 216 N Colorado (970) 641-0471 (FS trees permits): Weekdays 7:30 am - 4:30 pm
Gunnison Field Office: 210 W Spencer St (970) 642- 4940 (BLM tree permits):Weekdays 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Montrose Public Land Office: 2465 S. Townsend Ave. (970) 240-5300 (BLM & FS tree permits): Weekdays 7:30 am - 4:30 pm
Norwood Ranger District, 1150 Forest 970.327.4261 (FS & BLM permits)
Paonia Ranger District, 403 North Rio Grande Avenue 970.527.4131 (FS & BLM permits) Weekdays 8:30 am -5 pm
Paonia Flower Shop, 301 Grand Ave. 970.527.4664 Weekdays 9am-5pm, Saturdays 10am - 2pm (FS permits)
Weekender Sports, 141 Bridge Street 970. 872-3444 Weekdays 7am-6:pm, Saturday 8am-5pm (FS permits)
Colorado River Valley Field Office, 2300 River Frontage Road, 970.876.9000 (BLM permits)
The Christmas Tree program is a Recreation Enhancement Act project. Funds collected are retained on the Forest for management of the Christmas Tree program.