Obtaining a Firewood Permit
If you have any questions, contact one of our offices. Offices are located in Cadillac, Manistee, Baldwin, Mio and Oscoda.
We can only issue firewood cutting permits for National Forest System lands (federal), to obtain a firewood cutting permit to collect on State land you must contact the Michigan DNR.
If you are not sure that where you want to cut is on Federal Forest System lands or if you need a permit from the State of Michigan - scroll down to look at pdf versions of the firewood cutting maps for the Huron-Manistee National Forests to see if where you want to cut is on Federal land and/or open to cutting. These maps are NOT the firewood permit - you will still need to come into an office to get a firewood permit.
Proximity Map of the Huron-Manistee National Forests:
NOTE: Make checks payable to: USDA Forest Service
This permit is not intended for commericial firewood operations. Permits must be obtained in person, no on-line sales are available.
Where and What Can I Cut:
- Cutting and gathering is allowed only on areas shown as open to cutting or gathering on the firewood maps. You will receive this map when you purchase your permit.
- No cutting or gathering of dead and/or down wood will occur within 200 feet of any lake, pond, stream or river or within 200 feet of any recreation area.
- On portions of the Manistee National Forest (as shown on firewood cutting maps linked below), cutting and gathering from standing dead trees is authorized only between September 1 and April 30 for protection of the endangered Indiana Bat.
- Live trees may NOT be cut.
- All dead and down trees may be gathered.
- Standing dead trees may be cut only if they are within 200 feet of a legal public road.
- No gathering or harvest of any dead trees identified by having paint marks at breast height and stump height or dead trees which have directional, trail, den tree, Animal Inn or land survey signs attached.
Scroll down for electronic copies of firewood maps to make sure that where you want to cut is on the National Forest and that the area you want to cut is open to cutting. PDF's are geotagged and can be downloaed to SmartPhones. These maps are NOT the firewood permit - you will still need to come into an office to get a firewood permit.
Where and What Can I Drive:
- Vehicles may only use roads identified on the Motor Vehicle Use Map. Motor Vehicle Use Maps are available at all Forest Service Offices and are updated yearly in March. Please get a new map every March/April when you get your firewood permit so that you have the most current road information.
- Vehicles may not block or restrict use of Forest Roads.
- Vehicles may pull or back off of Forest Roads a maximum of 25 feet or the lenth of the vehicle, whichever is LESS.
- The use of tractors, skidders, ORV's or other motorized equipment to skid or gather wood off of the roads is prohibited.
- All firewood products cut under this permit shall not exceed 6 (six) feet in length.
- Stumps will be cut no higher than 14 inches.
- Due to state law, firewood gathered on the Huron-Manistee National Forests can be moved, but not to the UP or out of state without a Compliance Agreement. Compliance Agreements can be obtained from the Michigan Department of Agriculture. Costs/fines will be incurred for those violating the regulations.
- A cord is 4 x 4 x 8 (pdf)
Fuelwood Collection Tips (pdf)
On-line Firewood Maps
These electronic copies of firewood maps have been made available to you, so that you can make sure that where you want to cut is on the National Forest and that the area you want to cut is open to cutting. PDF's are geotagged and can be downloaed to SmartPhones.
These maps are NOT the firewood permit - you will still need to come into an office to get a firewood permit.
There are 11 maps for the Baldwin/White Cloud Area combined into one pdf.
- Maps (pdf)
- Map 1 - Sheridan, Custer and Branch Townships
- Map 2 - Sauble, Peacock, Sweetwater and Webber Townships
- Map 3 - Eden, Logan, Weare, Crystal and Colfax Townships
- Map 4 - Lake, Pleasant Plains, Troy and Lilley Townships
- Map 5 - Yates, Chase, Home an Barton Townships
- Map 6 - Elbridge, Leavitt, Shelby, Ferry and Newfield Townships
- Map 7 - Beaver, Merrill, Denver and Lincoln Townships
- Map 8 - Monroe, Norwich, Big Rapids, Wilcox, Goodwell and Mecosta Townships
- Map 9 - Grant, Otto, Montague and Blue Lake Townships
- Map 10 - Greenwood, Holton and Cedar Creek Townships
- Map 11 - Sherman, Everett, Big Prairie, Aetna, Brooks, Croton and Reynolds Townships
- Manistee and Cadillac (pdf)
Mio and Huron Shores (Oscoda/Tawas)
- Mio east and west (pdf)
- Huron Shores - North and South of river (pdf)