Monterey Ranger District
August 16, 2016
MONTEREY RANGER DISTRICT
Ranger Station (831) 385-5434
Big Sur Visitor Center (831) 667-2315
The conditions listed below can change rapidly, especially with inclement weather. Therefore, it is recommended that visitors to the Forest contact the Ranger District Office which is nearest to their destination for the very latest information. The National Weather Service is a good resource for information about current and predicted weather!
For the most current information about conditions on Highway-1 call the toll-free hotline at (888) 836-0866www.dot.ca.gov/dist05/projects/
Highway 1 is currently open. For more information, please visit: http://www.dot.ca.gov/
**ALERT** SOBERANES FIRE CLOSURE INFORMATION
Due to the Soberanes Fire that began on July 22nd, a forest closure order is in place for the northern Monterey Ranger District that prohibits public entry. The closure order has been extended south to the Nacimiento-Fergusson Road and additional law enforcement capacity is actively enforcing the order.
THERE IS NO HUNTING WITHIN THE SOBERANES FIRE CLOSURE AREA.
The following roads, trails and campgrounds in the Los Padres National Forest are currently closed:
Palo Colorado Rd at Hwy 1 and Botcher's Gap Campground
Tassajara Rd, China Camp, White Oaks Campground and all trailheads off of Tassajara Rd
Pine Ridge Trailhead at Hwy 1/Big Sur Station and the Pine Ridge Trail off of Tassajara Rd
Robinson Canyon Road (south of San Clemente Trail), Weston Ridge RD at Hwy 1, Garrapatos Creek Rd at Hwy 1, Old Coast Rd at Hwy 1 and Bixby Bridge, Cachagau Rd South from E. Carmel Valley Rd. is open to residents only. Full Closure occurs at Nason Rd. Tassajara Rd South from Carmel Valley Rd. Coast Rd, Apple Pie Ridge Road, Coast Ridge Road.
Arroyo Seco Campground, Day Use Are and Trailhead
Cone Peak Rd
Milpitas Rd, Santa Lucia Memorial Campground, Escondido Campground
Piney Creek Campground
CALIFORNIA STATE PARK CLOSURES
Andrew Molera State Park
Pfeiffer Burns State Park/Big Sur Campground
Julia Pfeiffer State Park (Day Use)
For the latest on the Soberanes Fire, visit http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4888/.
Soberanes Fire Expanded Forest Closure News Release
Soberanes Fire Emergency Forest Closure Order 05-07-51-16-11
Sobernaes Fire Emergency Closure Map 5-07-51-16-11
Soberanes Fire Appendix A 05-07-16-11
Soberanes Fire Emergency Forest Closure Order Document 05-07-51-16-10
Soberanes Fire Emergency Forest Closure Map 05-07-51-16-10
SOBERANES FIRE INFORAMTION LINE: 831-204-0446 OR 2-1-1
THE FOLLOWING FOREST SERVICE ROADS AND CAMPGROUNDS ARE OPEN
- Arroyo Seco Campground, Day Use Picnic Area - call Rocky Mountain Recreation at 1-831-674-5726 for more information or the Monterey Ranger District office at 1-831-385-5434 X 0. ($10/day use fee)
- Sycamore Road to Pfeiffer Beach
- Kirk Creek Campground (for reservations, go to: www.recreation.gov or call 1-877-444-6777) By reservation only, $25/night - NO first-come, first-serve
- Plaskett Creek Campground (for reservations, go to www.recreation.gov or call 1-877-444-6777) By reservation only, $25/night - NO first-come, first-serve
- Plaskett Creek Group Campground (for reservations, go to www.recreation.gov or call 1-877-444-6777)
- Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd
- Nacimiento Campground ($15/night - first-come, first-serve)
- Ponderosa Campground (for reservations, go to www.recreation.gov or call 1-877-444-6777) or first-come, first-serve, $20/night
- South Coast Ridge Road (Prewitt Ridge Area)
- Plaskett Creek Rd - contact ranger station for road conditions
THE NORTH COAST RIDGE ROAD IS CLOSED PERMANENTLY TO VEHICLE TRAFFIC.
For more information about the Parks Managemnet Company that manages Plaskett Creek, Kirk Creek, Botcher's Gap, Nacimiento, Ponderosa Campgrounds and day use areas (Sand Dollar Beach, Pfeiffer Beach), call (805) 434-1996 or visit: www.campone.com
For backcountry trail conditions, please visit:
For information about California State Park Campgrounds and Day Use Areas, please visit: www.parks.ca.gov