Santa Lucia Ranger District
SANTA LUCIA RANGER DISTRICT
October 3, 2016
The conditions listed below can change rapidly, especially with inclement weather. It is recommended that visitors to the forest contact the Ranger District Office which is nearest to their destination for the very latest information. The National Weather Service is a good resource for information about current and predicted weather.
**ALERT** Figueroa Mountain Recreation Area Closures
Day use picnic sities, Foreste Route 8N16 (Lookout Rd) and 8N32 ( East Pinery Rd) in the Figueroa Recreation Area will be temporarily closed begining August 16, 2016 through Aughst 17, 2017 due to concerns related to dead and dying hazardous trees that pose a safety risk to visitors. Forest Order 05-07-53-16-13.
This temporary closure includes Pino Alto Day Use Area, Figuerora Lookout, Cumbre Day Use Area and Forest Service Road 8N16 (Lookout Road). These areas will remain closed until the public safety risk is mitigated by cutting the hazardous trees.
Open Pozo/La Panza Trails and Campgrounds
- Pozo OHV Area: gates at Forest Roads 29S02.2, 29S0.1; 29S18 and OHV Trails 16E22,16E21,15E07, 16E24,16E08,16E09,16E04, 16E23, 16E09, 15E05, 18E02, 16E02, 15E11, 18E05, 16E16, 15E09, 15E10.
- Friis Campground, Navajo Flats Campground, La Panza, Turkey Flat OHV Staging Area.
Rockfront Ranch OHV Riding Area - OPEN Trails, Roads and Campgrounds
- All OHV Roads and Trails reopened on July 1, 2016.
Baja, Buck Springs and Paradise campgrounds, Rockfront OHV Staging Area, as well as the following trails: Upper 35 Canyon, Paradise, Branch Creek, Big Rocks, Jack Springs, Twin Rocks, Shaw Ridge, Logan Ridge, and Los Machos.
- La Brea Area: Brookshire
- Buckhorn Ridge OHV Area - Bear Canyon Campground
CLOSED ROADS AND OHV RIDING AREAS/TRAILS
- Buckhorn Ridge OHV Area (Buckhorn Ridge, Horshoe Spring Spur, Bear Canyon Loop and Bear Canyon Campground).
- Kerry Canyon OHV Trail/Area is temporarily closed until further notice.
WEST CUESTA ROAD IS CLOSED NOVEMBER 1, 2015 THROUGH OCTOBER 31, 2016
Non-motorized recreation access, such as hiking and mountain biking, is unaffected by the order. Private residents and communication site lease holders will be allowed motorized access to their homes or business sites.
The closure order for public motorized vehicle use is needed until repairs to the road are completed and the area is safe for vehicle use. Forest officials are working with communication site lease holders to conduct environmental planning and a road repair plan to reestablish safe motorized access along this popular road in San Luis Obispo County.
OPEN CAMPGROUNDS/DAY USE AREAS
- Bates Campground
- Baja, Buck Springs and Paradise (Rockfront Ranch Campgrounds)
- Cerro Alto Campground
- Colson Campground
- Figueroa Campground
- Friis Campground - Pozo/La Panza Area
- Davy Brown Campground
- High Mountain Campground
- Miranda Pine
- Horseshoe Campground
- Nira Campground
- La Panza Campground (Pozo/La Panza Area)
- Navajo Flat Staging Area/Campgorund (Pozo/La Panza Area)
TEMPORARY DAY USE AREA CLOSURES
- Figueroa Lookout Day Use Area
- Cumbre Day Use - Figueroa Mountain
- Pino Alto Picnic Area - Figueroa Mountain
- Figueroa Mountain Rd to the junction of Happy Canyon Rd, Sunset Valley Rd, Cachuma Saddle
- East Pinery (Forest Road 8N32) Figueroa Mountain.
- Pozo Road is open on both sides
TEMPORARY ROAD CLOSURES
Figueroa Mountain area at the Lookout (Forest Road 8N16), ) Zaca Ridge Road/Catway (Forest Road 8N02)