Santa Lucia Ranger District
SANTA LUCIA RANGER DISTRICT
May 23, 2016
The conditions listed below can change rapidly, especially with inclement weather. It is recommended that visitors to the forest contact the Ranger District Office which is nearest to their destination for the very latest information. The National Weather Service is a good resource for information about current and predicted weather.
Open Pozo/La Panza Trails and Campgrounds
- Pozo OHV Area: gates at Forest Roads 29S02.2, 29S0.1; 29S18 and OHV Trails 16E22,16E21,15E07, 16E24,16E08,16E09,16E04, 16E23, 16E09, 15E05, 18E02, 16E02, 15E11, 18E05, 16E16, 15E09, 15E10.
- Friis Campground, Navajo Flats Campground, La Panza, Turkey Flat OHV Staging Area.
Open Rockfront Ranch OHV Riding Area - Trails, Roads and Campgrounds
- All OHV Roads and Trails - The gate at Forest Road 30S02 is OPEN to the Rockfront OHV road and trail system
- Buck Campground
- Baja Campground
- Paradise Campground
CLOSED CAMPGROUNDS, DAY USE PICNIC AREAS
- La Brea Area: Horseshoe, Brookshire
- Buckhorn Ridge OHV Area - Bear Canyon Campground
CLOSED ROADS AND OHV RIDING AREAS/TRAILS
- East Pinery (Forest Road 8N32) Figueroa Mountain.
- Bates Canyon past Bates Canyon Campground (Forest Road 11N01.3)..
- Buckhorn Ridge OHV Area (Buckhorn Ridge, Horshoe Spring Spur, Bear Canyon Loop and Bear Canyon Campground, Horshoe).
- KERRY CANYON OHV TRAIL/AREA IS TEMPORARILY CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
WEST CUESTA ROAD IS CLOSED NOVEMBER 1, 2015 THROUGH OCTOBER 31, 2016
Non-motorized recreation access, such as hiking and mountain biking, is unaffected by the order. Private residents and communication site lease holders will be allowed motorized access to their homes or business sites.
The closure order for public motorized vehicle use is needed until repairs to the road are completed and the area is safe for vehicle use. Forest officials are working with communication site lease holders to conduct environmental planning and a road repair plan to reestablish safe motorized access along this popular road in San Luis Obispo County.
OPEN CAMPGROUNDS/DAY USE AREAS
- Bates Campground
- Cerro Alto Campground
- Colson Campground
- Figueroa Campground
- Figueroa Lookout Day Use Area
- Cumbre Day Use - Figueroa Mountain
- Pino Alto Picnic Area - Figueroa Mountain
- Friis Campground - Pozo/La Panza Area
- Davy Brown Campground
- High Mountain Campground
- Miranda Pine
- Nira Campground
- La Panza Campground (Pozo/La Panza Area)
- Navajo Flat Staging Area/Campgorund (Pozo/La Panza Area)
- Figueroa Mountain Rd to the junction of Happy Canyon Rd, Sunset Valley Rd, Cachuma Saddle
Figueroa Mountain area at the Lookout (Forest Road 8N16), ) Zaca Ridge Road/Catway (Forest Road 8N02) as of March 22, 2016.
High Mountain Road to High Mountain Campground - open as of 3/17/16f
- Sierra Madre Road at intersection with Highway 166 (Forest Road 32S13.1)
- Sunset Valley Road to Davy Brown and Nira Campgrounds
- Pozo Road is open on both sides