FAQ - Miscellaneous

  1. How do I find a job with the Forest Service? You can check on our website under Employment. You must be 18 years and older and a US citizen to apply for any jobs listed. Senior opportunities consist of training to return to the work force, and volunteering. Youth opportunities are for those under the age of 18 to work for the summer under the Youth Conservation Crews. Another way to check on jobs is under USAJOBS http://www.usajobs.opm.gov. To search ONLY for Forest Service jobs, start at http://jobsearch.usajobs.opm.gov/a9ag.asp and choose USDA, Forest Service.
  2. Does the Malheur give away free trees? The Forest Service no longer gives away free trees. We recommend you check with your State Forester for more information/grants, etc.
  3. How can I purchase a map or other items about the area? Select forest, wilderness, and district maps may be purchased at any of our offices or by mail. Check the map section for prices or call our office at 541-575-3000. If ordering through the mail please make your check payable to USDA, indicate which map(s) you would like to purchase, and mail to our office.
  4. How do I make reservation for a fire lookout or cabins? The Malheur has one fire lookout (Fall Mountain), and 4 cabins (Deer Creek, and Murderer's Creek, Short Creek, and Sunshine) available for recreational rental, when travel by passenger vehicle allows. You need to make reservations for these facilities through www.recreation.gov or call 1-877-444-6777. This is a very popular way to spend some quiet time in the woods. More information and pictures are available in our recreation section of this web page.
  5. How do I sell products and services to the Forest Service? Are there contracts on which I can bid? If you sell a product or service, the best thing to do is get in the Federal Supply Service Program through General Services Administration (GSA). The GSA is the business manager and purchasing agent for the federal government. The address for GSA in Washington DC is General Services Building, Eighteenth and F Street NW., Washington DC 20405, 202-708-5082. Or you may visit their web site at www.gsa.gov for further information.


  • Timber Sales
    • January 23, 2015: Log haul will begin from MD subdivision next week.  Haul route will be 3935, by Crow Flat to 395 North.  They are moving equipment in today and over the weekend
    • January 9, 2015: Log haul has begun for the Drew Timber Sale. Haul route is the 3790 road to the 37 road to US Highway 395 and north.
    • Operations have begun on both Moo Reoffer and Dairy Reoffer timber sales. Moo Reoffer is located on Emigrant Creek Ranger District Southeast of Highway 395. Units are located on the 2800400 and 2855. Haul route will be out the 2815, 2800 to Highway 20. Dairy Reoffer is located on Emigrant Creek Ranger District North of Highway 20. Haul route will be 4510200, 4510, 4500 to Highway 20 (Riley).


    Current Timber Sales on the Malheur National Forest:



  • Recreation Passes