FAQ - Camping

  1. How do I get a campground space? Campgrounds on the Malheur are on a first come first serve sites. Reservations are only available for the Group Camping Area at Magone Lake, the Magone Lake Picnic Shelter, and the Idlewild Picnic Shelter.
  2. How do I get a reservation? To reserve the Group Camping Area at Magone Lake or the Magone Lake Picnic Shelter call 1-888-444-6777 or visit www.recreation.gov. To reserve the Idlewild Picnic Shelter call the Emigrant Creek Ranger District at 541-573-4300.
  3. How long are the campgrounds open? Usually campgrounds are open between May 25 and October 31. Some of the campgrounds are accessible at other times of the year, however the water systems are likely to be shut off and little to no maintenance will be provided. The campgrounds are operated on a "pack-it-in, pack-it-out" basis.
  4. Do I have to camp in developed campgrounds? No, you may camp any place in the forest that is not posted as a designated campground. Unless it lies within a quarter mile of a trailhead, dispersed campsites are free, no pass is required, and are first come first serve. There is a limit of no more than 14 days, out of any 30-day period on this Forest. Call local Forest Service offices for current status on campfire restrictions.
  5. How can I become a campground host?
    Not all campgrounds on the Malheur National Forest have campground hosts. Contact the Forest Service office in the area you wish to be a campground host and ask to speak with the person responsible for campground hosting. That individual can then explain the host hiring process.
  6. Are pets allowed on trails and in the campgrounds?
    Pets must always be restrained or on a leash while in developed recreation sites and on trails. Pets (except guide dogs) are not allowed in swimming areas. Saddle or pack animals are allowed in recreation sites only where authorized by posted instructions.