The 2016 firewood season will open up May 9th, 2016
Charge Forest Product Permits
|Special Forest Product
||Rate ($) per Unit of Measure
||Unit of Measure
||Quantity Sold With $20.00 Minimum Purchase
Downed material only. Not to exceed 5 cords per household per year. Must have a current "Weekly Firewood Information Sheet" in hand with your permit and a Firewood cutting map to be legal. No permit is required for gathering downed firewood while at your campsite for camping purposes while on National Forest land.
Anyone cutting firewood on the Forest is required to have a Firewood cutting map (New this year and will be provided with purchase of permit), current weekly information sheet and attachments, in addition to a valid permit. Personal use firewood permits sell for $10.00 per cord; minimum charge per permit is $20.00.
The Forest Service uses a four-level industrial regulation system (IFPL) to help prevent wildfires by regulating work activities in the forest. This includes firewood cutting.
Forest Roads may have trees or debris on them. Drive with caution
Weekly Firewood Information Sheets
Eastside Cutting Zone
Eastside Cutting Zone - Weekly Firewood Information Sheet
Eastside Special Request Form
Eastside Firewood Cutting Area Map (Provided with purchase of firewood permit)
Westside Cutting Zone
Westside Cutting Zone -Weekly Firewood Information Sheet
Westside Firewood Cutting Area Map (Provided with purchase of firewood permit)
Weekly Information Sheet Attachments:
Firewood on the Zigzag Ranger District is by Special Request only.
Special Request Firewood Form
Personal Use Firewood Cutting Permits
Purchase Personal Use Firewood Cutting Permits and get more information at one of the Mt Hood National Forest Ranger District offices. Permits can no longer be obtained at the office in Sandy, Oregon.
- The yearly cutting limit per household is 5 cords.
- All districts may not have areas available during the season. Be sure to call for current information before making plans.
- Firewood cutting areas are described on the Firewood cutting map and information sheets, and you are required to have a current information sheet with your permit while cutting. Information sheets change weekly and show the status of each area. Information sheets are available at Ranger Stations, and this webiste.
- Firewood cutters must have screen type spark arrestors on their chainsaws, carry a pressurized chemical fire extinguisher not less than 8 ounces, and a long handled shovel with an 8-inch blade.
- Before heading into the forest, call your nearest Ranger Station for up-to-date information on supply and road conditions.
- Product Quantity Removal Record and Tag Validation Example
- Cord of Wood Diagrams
- Clearing Limits of Road Prism Examples
- IFPL Diagram
Special Request Forms
Frequently Asked Questions