The 2015 firewood season is now closed on the Mt. Hood National Forest. Firewod permits and tags issued during the 2015 season have expired and are no longer valid.
The 2016 firewood season will open up in the late spring/early summer depending on weather and road conditions.
Charge Forest Product Permits
|Special Forest Product
||Rate ($) per Unit of Measure
||Unit of Measure
||Quantity Sold With $20.00 Minimum Purchase
Downed material only. Not to exceed 5 cords per household per year. Must have a current "Weekly Firewood Information Sheet" in hand with your permit to be legal. No permit is required for gathering downed firewood while at your campsite for camping purposes while on National Forest land.
Anyone cutting firewood on the Forest is required to have a current weekly information sheet and attachments, in addition to a valid permit. Personal use firewood permits sell for $10.00 per cord; minimum charge per permit is $20.00.
The Forest Service uses a four-level industrial regulation system (IFPL) to help prevent wildfires by regulating work activities in the forest. This includes firewood cutting.
Be aware of changing weather conditions. Forest Roads are not maintained for winter travel.
Weekly Firewood Information Sheets
Eastside Cutting Zone
Eastside Cutting Zone - Weekly Firewood Information Sheet Eastside Special Request Form
- Forest road 1710 area (The Dalles Watershed/Roan)
- Forest road 2610, 43 area (South end of Barlow/Raft)
- Forest road 1300, 1310 area (Lost Lake road Hood River District/Wedge/Ax)
- Forest Road 4860, 4885 area (South end of Barlow/Crane)
Westside Cutting Zone
Westside Cutting Zone -Weekly Firewood Information Sheet
Weekly Information Sheet Attachments:
Clackamas River Ranger District Firewood Roads Table (Last Update: November 5, 2015) - If you follow the information on this roads table you do not need to submit a Special Request form on the Clackamas River Ranger District. Firewood on the Zigzag Ranger District is by Special Request only.
Special Request Firewood Form
Personal Use Firewood Cutting Permits
Purchase Personal Use Firewood Cutting Permits and get more information at one of the Mt Hood National Forest Ranger District offices. Permits can no longer be obtained at the office in Sandy, Oregon.
- The yearly cutting limit per household is 5 cords.
- All districts may not have areas available during the season. Be sure to call for current information before making plans.
- Firewood cutting areas are described on the information sheets, and you are required to have a current information sheet with your permit while cutting. Information sheets change weekly and show the status of each area. Information sheets are available at Ranger Stations, and this webiste.
- Firewood cutters must have screen type spark arrestors on their chainsaws, carry a pressurized chemical fire extinguisher not less than 8 ounces, and a long handled shovel with an 8-inch blade.
- Before heading into the forest, call your nearest Ranger Station for up-to-date information on supply and road conditions.
- Product Quantity Removal Record and Tag Validation Example
- Cord of Wood Diagrams
- Clearing Limits of Road Prism Examples
- IFPL Diagram
Special Request Forms
Frequently Asked Questions