OHV Safety Training for Unlicensed Riders on Forest Roads

During the 2011 legislative session, the Idaho Recreation Council worked with legislators to pass SB1001. The passing of this bill brought a couple of key changes to Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) education requirements in Idaho.

All unlicensed riders who wish to operate an OHV on National Forest roads are required to take an OHV safety course beginning July 1, 2011.

All riders age 15 and under who wish to operate an OHV on roads must be also supervised. This requirement applies to Forest Service roads where riders share the road with passenger vehicles, RVs, logging trucks and other commerical traffic.  Visit the State of Idaho website at www.parksandrecreation.idaho.gov for additional information.

Q. Do I have to take a class to ride my OHV on Trails?
A. No, this requirement is for U.S. Forest Service roads only.

Q. What course does an unlicensed operator need to take?
A1. Attend a free IDPR Responsible Rider OHV course for ATVs, Motorbikes or UTVs. Class schedules are listed online (http://parksandrecreation.idaho.gov/recreation/ohveducation.aspx). A certificate will be issued at the completion of the course allowing for immediate legal operation.
A2. Pay a fee and attend a course offered by the ATV Safety Institute or Motorcycle Safety Foundation. A certificate will be issued at the completion of the course allowing for immediate legal operation.
A3. Pay a fee of $29.95 and complete the online training at (www.atvcourse.com/usa) and bring your completion receipt to participate in a 10 – 15 minute skills assessment. A skill can be setup by contacting the IDPR OHV Education Program (ohveducation@idpr.idaho.gov).

We care about you and your safety!

OHV recreation is welcome on the National Forests where it is done responsibly and in a reasonably safe environment.   The Forest Service worked with the OHV community, Idaho legislators and Governor Otter to enact a law requiring safety training for unlicensed/underage OHV drivers and strengthen the definition of “supervision of minors”.

The State of Idaho is providing OHV safety training. The Forest Service recognizes the value of safety training and will encourage users to take advantage of the state’s training opportunity. Classes are listed on the web page listed above.
Roads that are open to highway vehicles, including logging trucks, trucks with livestock trailers, and passenger vehicles, may be appropriate for family-oriented OHV use if: (1) the roads receive little traffic; (2) the roads are traveled at low speeds; and (3) unlicensed drivers are properly trained and supervised.

The dangers associated with mixed-use traffic (OHVs and highway legal vehicles) may require mitigation warning or information signs. On some National Forest Roads where safety concerns exist and cannot be effectively remedied, the Forest Service may enact vehicle restrictions on all OHV use as a last resort. See our  Mixed Use Safey Review Page for more information about this initiative.

The Forest Service is committed to working in a transparent way with the public to identify and remedy safety hazards.