Marketing Your Products and Services and Registering Your Business

It is the responsibility of each individual business to market and sell its company's products or services to the Forest Service. The following information may assist you in your marketing efforts.

  1. Identify your product or service

    It is essential to know the Federal Supply Class or Service (FSC/SVC) codes and North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) codes for your products or services. Visit the Census Bureau website at

  2. Register your business

    Obtain a DUNS number
    The Data Universal Number System (DUNS) number is a unique nine-character identifier. To request a DUNS number call D&B at the toll free number 1-866-705- 5711 or register online at

    Register with Central Contractor Registration (CCR)
    You must be registered in Central Contractor Registration (CCR) to be awarded a government contract. Vendors must renew/update their data annually to keep their CCR registration active. Detailed information about CCR is available at or the CCR customer assistance center can be contacted toll free at 1-888-227-2423.

    Register with On-line Representations and Certifications Application (ORCA)
    With ORCA, vendors have the ability to maintain their FAR representation and certification information required when responding to government solicitations. Detailed information regarding ORCA and how to submit records is available on the ORCA web site at under Help and FAQs.

    The System for Award Management (SAM) is a Federal Government owned and operated free web site that consolidates the capabilities in CCR/FedReg, ORCA, and EPLS. Future phases of SAM will add the capabilities of other systems used in Federal procurement and awards processes. All records from CCR/FedReg, ORCA, and EPLS, active or expired, were moved to SAM.

  3. Keep abreast of current Forest Service procurement opportunities

    The Federal Business Opportunities ( is the major source to learn of federal requirements. It lists contract opportunities, subcontracting leads, contract awards and other business opportunities over $25,000.

  4. Periodically review the Annual Procurement Forecast database

    The U.S. Department of Agriculture annually publishes its current and planned projects in the Annual Procurement Forecast. Every business or interested individual can view the planned projects at the USDA website and then call a Forest Service contact person. Visit the website at Click the USDA Annual Procurement Forecast and then select FS as the subagency.

  5. Make your capabilities known

    Contact program and procurement offices where the work relates to the product or service your company offers. Prepare capability statements that clearly and comprehensively define your company's special skills, experiences, prior government contracts, references, resumes, etc.