Motor Vehicle Use Maps


The U. S. Forest Service released a Travel Management Rule in November 2005 for managing motorized use on National Forest lands. This rule provides a framework for each National Forest to identify and designate roads, trails, and areas suitable for motorized use. Use of motor vehicles is prohibited outside of the designated system.

One outcome of this planning effort was publication of a Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) for each District nationwide. The maps show the designated road, trails, and areas for motorized use. Once the MVUM is published, motor vehicle use on the national forest will be allowed only on designated routes or areas displayed on the map.

The goal of the travel management process is to create a safe and sustainable motorized use system that provides recreational opportunities and appropriate access while protecting forest resources.

About the Motor Vehicle Use Maps

The Siuslaw National Forest Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) displays National Forest System routes (roads and trails) and areas that are open to motorized travel. Designated motor vehicle roads, motorized trails and motorized cross country travel areas are outlined in these maps.

The Motor Vehicle Use Map displays uses allowed by vehicle class (highway-legal vehicles and off-highway vehicles), dispersed camping, and seasonal restrictions, as well as general travel rules and regulations. National Forest Service (NFS) routes not shown on the MVUM are not open to public motor vehicle travel. Routes designated for motorized use may not always be signed on the ground, but will be identified on the MVUM. It is the user's responsibility to refer to the MVUM to determine designated routes for motor vehicle use. The MVUM will be updated annually to correct mapping errors or discrepancies, and to update travel decisions.

The Motor Vehicle Use Map is a black and white map with no topographic features. It is best used in conjunction with a Forest Visitor Use Map, Ranger District Map, or other topographic map. The MVUM is free to the public and hardcopies are available at Siuslaw National Forest offices.

These maps are available here. From this webpage, you can print the sections you are interested in traveling on. [See below for how to print these map pages.]Adobe Reader or another PDF document reader is required for viewing the MVUM for each district. If you do not have a reader installed, you can download a free plugin at Adobe Reader Website.

District Motor Vehicle Use Maps:

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I print the MVUM?

The Siuslaw National Forest MVUM can be printed on 8.5" x 11" paper using home printers. With Adobe Acrobat, you can print either the whole atlas by using the "Print All" function or use the "Pages" function to print the pages you need. The Coversheet, Purpose and Content, Seasonal and Special Vehicle Designation Table, Dispersed Camping Table; and Map Index pages must printed along with the township and range index map you are traveling to, if you are printing just certain map page. See the individual ranger district webpage for more detail.

Here areinstructions on how to print the atlas:

  • If you want to print the whole atlas, select the "All" function under the "Print Range."A total of 34 pages for the Hebo Ranger District and 63 pages for the Central Coast Ranger District and Oregon Dunes National Recreation Areas will be printed.

image of print all screen


  • If printing only certain areas of the atlas, select the "Pages" function and enter the page numbers.

    The Coverpage, Purpose and Content, Seasonal and Special Vehicle Designation Table, Dispersed Camping Table; and Map Index pages must printed along with the township and range index map pages you are traveling to. These mandatory pages (pages 1 - 12)  are needed for reference while out in the area.

    For example, if you want to go to T. 2 S., R09 W.; T.3 S., R. 10 W.; T.3 S.; R09 W., you would enter 1 – 12, 13, 14, 15 as shown in the screen shot below.
    image of print screen to select individual pages to print


What does a MVUM show me?

  • All National Forest Service roads, trails and designated areas allowing public motor vehicle use.

  • Motorized use includes but is not limited to highway-legal and non-highway-legal vehicles and both 2 and 4-wheel drive vehicles.

  • Designation details, including vehicle class, time of year, and any motorized access for the purpose of dispersed camping (camping in locations other than campgrounds).

  • Roads where only highway-legal vehicles are allowed due to safety considerations.

Motor vehicle access may occur on routes not shown on the MVUM for the purpose of limited administrative access by Forest Service personnel; for fire and law enforcement for emergency purposes and; by persons authorized by a written special use permit or contract from the Forest Service.


Does the MVUM also show non-motorized trails?

No, the Forest Visitor Map shows non-motorized routes, including mechanized (e.g., mountain bike) trails, hiking, and horse trails. Visitor Maps are available for purchase at Forest Service offices.


What do you mean by vehicle class?

Vehicle class refers to certain categories of motorized vehicles.The following are typical vehicle class route designations:

  • Roads open to highway-legal vehicles only (licensed)

  • Roads and trails open to all motor vehicles, including unlicensed non-highway-legal vehicles such as quads, dirt bikes, sand rails, etc.

It's important to understand that routes and areas shown open to certain vehicle classes do not mean they are necessarily maintained for or suitable for travel using those vehicles. It simply means it is legal to use them. For example, many non-key (secondary) roads may be open to all motor vehicles. This designation includes passenger cars, although it may not be prudent to drive this type of vehicle on the route due to the condition of the surface or during inclement weather. Please check with the local Ranger District Offices for more information.


What are the rules for motorized dispersed camping?

Dispersed camping (camping outside developed campgrounds) with motor vehicles may occur only in those areas indicated on the MVUM.  In such designated areas, motor vehicles may travel up to 150 feet off of the road to access and use established dispersed campsites.

Non-motorized dispersed camping may occur at any already established dispersed campsite unless it is posted as closed.  All visitors are discouraged from creating new campsites and are encouraged to use ones that already exists.


Are there road and trail route marker signs on the ground?

Routes designated for motorized use may not always be signed. In some cases, a route marker may exist at the entrance of the road or trail with symbols indicating which classes of vehicles are allowed. Routes designated for motorized uses will be identified on the MVUM. The MVUM is an enforcement tool to ensure individuals are on the correct route. It is the responsibility of the user to determine if they are on a route designated for the motor vehicle being used.