2012 Governor’s Historic Preservation Award - Smith River NRA Fire Warehouse Restoration
Release Date: Oct 30, 2012
Eureka, CA, October 29, 2012 – The Six Rivers National Forest’s nomination of the Smith River National Recreation Area Fire Warehouse Restoration has been selected to receive a Governor’s Historic Preservation Award of 2012. This award is the only official preservation award presented by the State of California to worthy recipients in recognition of outstanding achievements in the field of historic preservation. Click here to view photos of restoration.
The Fire Warehouse was constructed in 1936 by the Gasquet Camp of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) that was established in 1933 in the community of Gasquet, CA. The CCC was a successful program developed by President Franklin Roosevelt under the New Deal economic recovery plan during the Great Depression of the 1930s. From 1933 to 1942, the CCC enrolled young men to work in the nation’s forests, rangelands and historic sites on conservation and preservation projects.
In 1997, the warehouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a contributing building of the Gasquet Ranger Station Historic District.
The Forest Service administered a contract awarded to. Ausland Builders Inc., based out of Southern Oregon, who completed the restoration work in July 2011. Design plans were developed by Martha Jain, Architect of Arcata, in conjunction with Winzler and Kelly Consulting Engineers located in Eureka.
According to District Ranger Mary Kay Vandiver, “Throughout the life of the project, we consulted with the State Historic Preservation Office to ensure plans met preservation guidelines and reflect the architectural design of original construction. The fire warehouse now meets the mission needs of the Forest Service and preserves the compound’s historic value. “
Serving its original intent as a multiple purpose facility; the building has two garage bays for fire engines, a conference room, exercise room, laundry facilities, and ADA accessible restrooms. Located between the Middle Fork of the wild and scenic Smith River and the National Scenic Byway of Highway 199, the restored Fire Warehouse is a visual representation of the history contained in the community of Gasquet. This project has successfully preserved a key structure of one of the few remaining CCC compounds in Northern California.