Public comment period begins for Resolution Copper Mining Pre-Feasibility Proposal
SUPERIOR, Ariz. (April 3. 2009) – Tonto National Forest officials are seeking public comment on the Environmental Assessment (EA) for the Resolution Copper Mining Pre-feasibility Activities Plan of Operations. The public comment period begins Wednesday, April 1, 2009, and ends on Thursday, April 30, 2009, by close of business (4:30 pm).
The activities proposed in Resolution Copper Mining’s Pre-feasibility Activities Plan of Operations would occur within the western portion of the Pinal Mountains, near Superior, Arizona on the Globe Ranger District. The Plan of Operations would include the following activities:
- Constructing five exploration drill sites impacting approximately 1.14 acres and directional drilling operations on those sites; Constructing eight drill sites to accommodate a total of three deep and six shallow groundwater testing and monitoring wells impacting approximately 1.78 acres;
- Constructing nine drill sites impacting approximately 1.8 acres to accommodate a total of nine geotechnical characterization boreholes;
- Continuing exploratory and monitoring activities at previously authorized drill sites that had impacted approximately 3.02 acres;
- Completing necessary roadway improvements on approximately 16.97 miles of existing roads impacting approximately 33.39 acres;
- Constructing 0.33 mile of new roads impacting 0.55 acre
- Ongoing road maintenance to maintain access to drill sites.
The new construction activities proposed would occur on 38.66 acres. Previously-authorized activities involve 3.02 acres. The total proposed area affected would be 41.68 acres of National Forest System lands.
Copies of the EA can be found on the Tonto National Forest website at http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/projects. Print or CD-ROM copies of the EA are available at the Tonto Forest Supervisors’ Office, 2324 E. McDowell Rd., Phoenix, Arizona 85006, or at the Globe Ranger District Office, 7680 Six Shooter Canyon Road, Globe, Arizona, 85501. A reading copy of the proposal will also be available at both offices.
Mail and e-mail comments will be accepted. Comments should be submitted no later than close of business Thursday, April 30, 2009.
Comments may be mailed or hand delivered to:
Resolution Copper Mining Pre-feasibility Proposal
Forest Supervisor’s Office
Tonto National Forest
2324 East McDowell Road
Phoenix, Arizona 85006
- Comments may alternately be faxed to (602) 225–5295, ATTN: Team Leader: Resolution Copper Mining Pre-Feasibility.
- Comments may be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. width="50%" width="50%"