Christmas Tree Cutting Permits
Christmas Tree cutting permits are available for $5.00 at any Wallowa-Whitman National Forest office and local outlet stores beginning in mid-November. Vending machines sell permits and maps outside the U.S. Forest Services District Offices in Baker City, Joseph, and La Grande. For a printable brochure please click here.
The Christmas tree program is designed for families, business, and institutions wishing to cut their own Christmas Tree. Commercial cutting permits are not available. The permits do not authorize cutting on private, state, or other federally-managed lands.
Christmas Tree cutting rules to follow
- Cut your tree at least 50 feet away from the road
- Clean up any trimmings or limbs
- Leave stumps no higher than 10 inches. It is not legal to "top" a tree
- Remove any green limbs left that remain on the stump
- The maximum tree height is 20 feet and stump diameter is 6 inches
- Do not cut in active timber sales or areas that have been planted with new trees
- Do not cut on private land, wilderness areas, designated campgrounds, or existing tree plantations
- Do not cut trees in the following areas: Baker City Watershed, Anthony Lakes Campground or Ski Area, Starkey Experimental Forest, La Grande Watershed, Hurricane Creek and Lostine drainages
- Do not cut trees in posted Old Growth areas or within 1/4 mile of wild and scenic corridors
- Christmas Tree cutting within sight of a state highway is prohibited
Caring for the tree
Caring for your tree properly will prolong the life of the tree. Prior to moving the tree indoors, cut the base at least 1 inch above the original cut. Keep the base of the tree in water while inside your home or office.
Be prepared for winter weather
Forest roads may be muddy, icy, or covered with fresh snow. This can create hazardous driving conditions. For a safe and fun Christmas Tree cutting experience, check weather and road conditions ahead of time.
Bi-Mart, Baker City, Hermiston, La Grande, Pendleton
Burnt River Market, in Unity
Dollar Stretcher, in Enterprise
Halfway Market, in Halfway
Hitching Post Grocery, in Richland
Hometown Hardware, Union
Island City Market and Deli, Island City
O&M Gas & Grocery, in Elgin
The Sports Corral, in Joseph
Wallowa Food City, in Wallowa
York’s Park Grocery, in Baker City