Resource Management

Deforested Condition Trends

Threat of Deforested Conditions in CA National Forests


| Overview | Deforested Condition Trends | Reforestation Trends |
| Glossary | Methods | Grouping Logic | Veg Maps |


Selected Fires: Explanatory Notes | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 |
2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 |



Assessment of Potential Reforestation Needs

We analyzed large wildfires that burned more than 1,000 acres of forestland (land that grows trees) on national forest in California over a 14 year period 2000-2013, those fires totalled 3,905,000 acres burned. Of the total 3,904,809 acres burned, about 370,340 acres (8%) potentially needs planting on national forests. This analysis indicates an average annual maximum planting program of 26,500 acres and an average annual maximum natural regeneration survey program of 9,300 acres. The range of variation year to year is high. Potential planting need in a given year ranged from 0 to 64,400 acres during the 14 year period.

Trend Chart - Deforestion Condition and Planting Needs After Selected Fires

Column chart displaying deforestion and planting needs condition trends after wildfires for the selected wildfires from 2000 - 2013.  The X axis has the relavent years; the left Y axis has acres for deforested condition outside wilderness, etc. on national forest, and acres for maximum planting need; and the right Y axis has total perimeter acres.  Year 2000 has 13,912 acres of deforested condition, 13,079 acres of planting need, and 57,953 perimeter acres.  Year 2001 has 24,686 acres of deforested condition, 20,981 acres of planting need, and 91,073 perimeter acres.  Year 2002 has 56,896 acres of deforested condition, 44,531 acres of planting need, and 210,526 perimeter acres.  Year 2003 has 32,442 acres of deforested condition, 16,495 acres of planting need, and 458,349 perimeter acres.  Year 2004 has 15,499 acres of deforested condition, 12,263 acres of planting need, and 61,629 perimeter acres.  Year 2005 has 892 acres of deforested condition, 892 acres of planting need, and 2,291 perimeter acres.  Year 2006 has 26,251 acres of deforested condition, 11,227 acres of planting need, and 346,792 perimeter acres.  Year 2007 has 75,924 acres of deforested condition, 61,211 acres of planting need, and 708,706 perimeter acres.  Year 2008 has 84,184 acres of deforested condition, 64,370 acres of planting need, and 1,173,218 perimeter acres.  Year 2009 has 33,897 acres of deforested condition, 16,011 acres of planting need, and 303,807 perimeter acres.  Year 2010 has 3,053 acres of deforested condition, 310 acres of planting need, and 36,028 perimeter acres.  Year 2011 has 2,199 acres of deforested condition, 1,637 acres of planting need, and 24,874 perimeter acres.  Year 2012 has 54,424 acres of deforested condition, 46,149 acres of planting need, and 209,921 perimeter acres.  Year 2013 has 76,772 acres of deforested condition, 61,184 acres of planting need, and 219,642 perimeter acres.

Data Table - Summary of Vegetation Conditions After Selected Wildfires

Summary of Vegetation Conditions after Selected Wildfires on National Forests in California
(Acres) Calendar Years 2000-2013
vegetation type treatments NOT permitted treatments permitted treatments permitted total within fire perimeter
deforested condition forested condition deforested condition forested condition deforested condition forested condition
steep ground
( > 30 % slope)
flat ground
( < 30 % slope)
alpine 2,904 5,582 9,978 3,041 5,239 1,930 28,674
fir 24,863 94,939 9,054 19,919 10,131 26,422 185,328
pine 8,187 19,787 28,895 44,300 52,860 47,313 201,343
Douglas -fir 21,317 167,355 49,511 233,609 12,120 54,757 538,669
mixed conifer 33,036 98,316 99,346 159,598 93,205 135,507 619,008
closed cone conifers 10,625 13,299 7,941 6,367 7,706 6,898 52,836
coastal conifer / cypress 163 225 118 40 41 11 598
pinyon juniper 7,623 2,438 9,379 4,806 16,724 5,332 46,302
hardwood 63,286 78,082 65,369 79,354 23,413 18,995 328,497
sub total 172,004 480,023 279,592 551,033 221,438 297,165 2,001,256
shrub / non-forest 1,073,211
other ownership 830,343
total 3,904,809

Chart - How much of the burned area was National Forest?

Pie chart: Of the fires of 2000-2013 there were 3,905,000 total acres burned. How much of the burned area was National Forest? 3,074,500 acres were National Forest or 79 percent.  The other 830,300 acres or 21 percent were on lands with other ownership.

Chart - How much of the burned National Forest grew trees?

Pie chart: Of the 3,074,500 National Forest acres burned in the fires of 2000-2013, how much of the area grows trees? 2,001,256 acres or 65 percent are forest land or areas that grow trees. The other 1,073,221 acres or 35 percent are shrubland, grassland, rockland, and desert.

Chart - Of the burned National Forest that grew trees, how much of it turned into a deforested condition after the wildfire? And how much of it was in areas where treatments were permitted?

Pie chart displaying post-fire conditions from fires in years 2000-2013 on the 2,001,256 acres of national forest land burned that grows trees.  Deforested condition on wilderness areas, etc. have 172,004 acres or 9 percent.  Deforested condition on areas not wilderness, etc. have 501,030 acres or 25 percent.  Forested areas not wilderness have 848,198 acres or 42 percent.  Forest areas on wilderness, etc. have 480,023 acres or 24 percent.

Chart - Of the burned National Forest where treatments were permitted what were the tree vegetation types affected?

Pie chart based on the 501,030 acres of land in a deforested condition where treatments are permitted after the fires from 2000-2013.  The chart is divided by forest types.  Mixed conifer, 192,551 acres or 38 percent.  Hardwood, 88,782 acres or 18 percent.  Pine, 81,755 acres or 16 percent.  Douglas -fire, 61,631 acres or 12 percent.  Alpine, 15,217 acres or 3 percent.  Pinyon juniper, 26,103 acres or 5 percent.  Fir, 19,185 acres or 4 percent.  Closed cone conifers, 15,647 acres or 3 percent.

Data Tables - Potential Reforestation Need in Acres

It is a general practice to not consider planting hardwood, pinyon-juniper, or closed cone conifer types. Given this generality, it may be broadly concluded that 14 years of fire has resulted in the following potential reforestation need.


Land in a deforested condition after Selected Wildfires on National Forests in California Where Treatments are Permitted (Acres) 2000-2013
vegetation type steep ground
( > 30 % slope)
flat ground
( < 30 % slope)
total regeneration
mixed conifer 99,346 93,205 192,551 plant
hardwood 65,369 23,413 88,782 natural
pine 28,895 52,860 81,755 plant
Douglas -fir 49,511 12,120 61,631 plant
alpine 9,978 5,239 15,217 plant
pinyon juniper 9,379 16,724 26,103 natural
fir 9,054 10,131 19,185 plant
closed cone conifers 7,941 7,706 15,647 natural
sub total 279,474 221,398 500,872  


Potential Reforestation Need (Acres)
potential reforestation need steep ground
( > 30 % slope)
flat ground
( < 30 % slope)
total
planting (12 year period) 196,785 173,555 370,340
natural (12 year period) 82,689 47,843 130,532
planting (per year) 16,399 14,463 30,862
natural (per year) 6,891 3,987 10,878