The Bitterroot National Forest is located in western Montana.
Where is this Forest?


Advisory Committees

What is the purpose of a Resource Advisory Committee?

Resource Advisory Committees were established under the Reauthorization of the Secure Rural Schools and Community Self-Determination Act of 2000. The RAC’s recommend how to allocate a portion of federal funds Ravalli County receives under the Act.  The Act directs that funds be spent on projects such as road, trail and infrastructure maintenance or obliteration, improvements in soil and forest ecosystem health, restoration and improvements of wildlife and fish habitat, control of weeds, and reestablishment of native animals and plants.  Projects must benefit resources on National Forest lands and meet federal environmental laws. The Ravalli County Resource Advisory Committee was established in 2002.  To date, not including 2010, the RAC has funded 72 projects, totaling $864,756.

What are the duties of the Resource Advisory Committee?

The RAC's duties include reviewing proposed forest management projects in accordance with the SRS Act and making recommendations to the Forest Service and providing opportunities for interested parties to participate in the project development process.  RAC duties have been expanded to include monitoring of project progress and making recommendations for appropriate changes to projects being monitored.

Who makes up the Resource Advisory Committee?

Each resource advisory committee shall be comprised of 15 members made up of people from the general public, with equal representation from industry, environmental groups, elected officials, and other local interests.  Members are appointed by the Secretary of Agriculture and serve a four-year term.  .

What types of Projects does the RAC fund?

Projects which have been funded represent a number of categories.  These include water resources (stream restoration and riparian work, sediment reduction, culvert replacement, and irrigation systems); transportation (bridge removal and new construction, and road widening); timber/vegetation management (prescribed under burns, Stewardships, and restorations); education (development of brochures describing plants on trails and prescribed burning, Leave No Trace, class participation on weeds, Youth Get Nature Smart, Healthy Kids Healthy Forests, and Classrooms Without Walls); and trails (placement of new restrooms at trailheads, widening trails, and restoring campgrounds.  Trail work has been done on several different trails.

Who are the current Ravalli County Resource Advisory Committee members?

Click here to see a current list of members.

How often does the Resource Advisory Committee meet?

The Ravalli County Resource Advisory Committee meets on the 4th Tuesday of the month except for the month of December.  Meetings are held at the Bitterroot National Forest Supervisor’s office located at 1801 N. 1st, Hamilton, MT. 

How can I become involved?

The RAC will advertise in the newspaper when they are filling a position and will accept applications for memberships.  Complete the AD-775, along with a resume, and return both to the Bitterroot National Forest, 1801 N. First, Hamilton, MT  59840   Attn: Joni Lubke.

How do you go about submitting a project?

Project applications are available online.  Click here to access the Secure Rural Schools Resource Advisory website.   You can also get a hard copy project document from the Bitterroot Forest offices in Stevensville, Hamilton, Darby, Sula, and West Fork and mail them in to the Bitterroot National Forest, 1801 North First, Hamilton, MT  59840  Attn: Joni Lubke.  Project applications are due on August 10, 2012.