*** The National Advisory Committee for Implementation of the National Forest System Land Management Planning Rule Committee will meet in Tempe, Arizona the week of October 5th. Attendees may also participate via webinar and conference call. Find out more by viewing the Federal Register notice, agenda and webinar/call-in information.
August 2015: The Planning Rule FACA Committee provided recommendations to the Secretary of Agriculture and Chief of the Forest on March 3, 2015. They recommended the Forest Service improve the Transition Process for Forest Leadership and Forest Planning Team Members; as well as produce a “Planning 101” video to convey to the public the importance of our National Forests and explain the role of forest planning in protecting and managing public resources. As a result, the Chief of the Forest Service provided a response to recommendations on August 4, 2015.
July 2015 Updates: The Planning Rule FACA meeting scheduled for August 4, 2015 to August 6, 2015, in Juneau, Alaska has been cancelled.
April 2015 Updates: From April 28th to April 30th the FACA Committee convened at at the Forest Service International Programs Office located at 1 Thomas Circle, NW, Suite 400, Washington, D.C., 20005. Click here to review the Federal Register notice and revised meeting agenda. The purpose of this meeting is to provide: continued deliberations on formulating advice for the Secretary; discussion of Committee work group findings; dialogue with subject matter experts in the Washington Office around the topics of climate change, adaptive management, restoration, and outreach; hearing public comments; and administrative tasks. Click here to read the meeting summary.
January 2015 Updates: The FACA Committee reviewed the proposed planning directives and provided detailed recommendations to the Forest Service. The final planning directives, released by the Forest Service and effective on January 30, 2015, reflect the FACA Committee’s recommendations, along with public comments, and supported the Agency’s efforts to provide guidance to support land management planning that fulfills the goals of the 2012 Planning Rule. See the FACA Press Release for additional information. Read the Committee’s Letter to the Chief that was submitted upon completion of the 2012 Planning Rule Final Directives.
The FACA Committee met in Charlotte, North Carolina; January 27, 2015 to January 29, 2015. Check out the Meetings section below for all meeting information.
The Secretary of Agriculture selected 21 advisory committee members tasked with providing guidance and recommendations on Planning Rule implementation. Since 2012, the new Planning Rule continues to guide national forests and grasslands in developing, revising or amending land management plans. The previous committee’s membership expired in June 2014. The new committee members were selected from the candidates who responded to the Secretary’s request for nominations. The committee continues to embody the full range of public interests in management of National Forest System lands, consisting of members with diverse backgrounds that represent geographically diverse locations and communities.
Click here to view the news release announcing the new members.
Members selected to serve on the National Advisory Committee for Implementation of the National Forest System Land Management Planning Rule (Planning Rule FACA Committee) will advise and give recommendations to the Secretary of Agriculture and the Chief of the U.S. Forest Service.
The Committee will be asked to provide ongoing advice and recommendations on planning rule implementation or other requests made by the Secretary or the Chief. This includes:
- Outreach efforts, public engagement, and stakeholder collaboration
- Broad scale and multiparty monitoring and other ways to engage partnerships in land management plan revisions
- Communication tools and strategies to help provide greater understanding of the land management planning process
- Potential best management practices and problem solving resulting from early implementation of the 2012 Planning Rule
- Other issues as identified by the Chief or Secretary related to planning rule implementation.
The Committee is comprised of 21 members who provide balanced and broad representation of public interests including industry and user groups; environmental organizations; conservation organizations; recreation interests; members of the scientific community; State, County, or local elected officials (or designee); Tribal representatives; and other public interests.
Click here to learn more about the Committee members.
All Committee meetings are open to the public.
January 2015 Meeting: The FACA Committee met in Charlotte, North Carolina; January 27, 2015 to January 29, 2015. The objectives of the meeting were to finalize the Citizens’ and Government Guides, engage with key FS personnel and other stakeholders active in the Land Management Plan revision processes in Region 8 - Southern Region, and to update the committee as a whole on workgroup level key findings and progress, as well as to further advance workgroup progress. Click here to view the meeting summary.
Click here to review all past meeting information.
- The Federal Register notice (FRN) and press release announcing call for nominations were released on March 13, 2014. The 45-day nomination period closes April 28, 2014. Nominations require a completed application packet, including the nominee’s name, resume, and completed form AD–755 (Advisory Committee Membership Background Information). The form AD–755 may be obtained here (pdf version), or here (Microsoft Word version).
- Click here to review the “Protocol for Obtaining Comments, Presentations or Interaction with Members of the Public beyond the Standard Public Comment Periods and Procedures”.
- Read the Planning Rule FACA Committee’s new charter, which will continue through February 2016 .