Area Status: Open
This campground has a total of 47 campsites for tents, campers, trailers, or RVs. Eight walk-in campsites are typically available only for tent camping. Picnic tables, fire grates, water, vault toilets, and trash services are provided. Eight people are allowed per site except for units 12 and 32 which will accommodate 15 people each.
Click here for a campground map.
Click here for table of area campgrounds.
There is no electricity, hook-ups, dump stations, or showers.
Campsites 1-6, 9, 10, 12, 13, 16, 18, 19, 22 - 26, 28 - 30, 32, 33, 36 – 38 will be reservable from early July through Labor Day. Reservations can be made at www.recreation.gov or by calling toll-free 1-877-444-6777. Reservations are accepted a minimum of four days prior to arrival (a maximum of 160 days) and cost an additional $10 per reservation by phone or $9 for reservations online. Campsites 7, 8, 11, 14, 15, 17, 20, 21, 27, 31, 34, 35, 39 and walk-in campsites W1 through W8 are are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Pawnee Campground visitors are subject to Brainard Lake Recreation Area fees.
During the summer months, Pawnee Campground is almost always full to capacity on weekends and holidays, normally filling for the weekend by Friday morning or even earlier in the week, so plan to arrive early or consider making a reservation. This campground closes in September.
Situated at the foot of the Continental Divide, Pawnee Campground is in a mature spruce-fir forest. Be prepared for cold and wet weather at any time. Hiking trails west of this campground enter into the Indian Peaks Wilderness.
Click here for the National Weather Service forecast.
At a Glance
||Open 6/24-9/11/2016. Campfires prohibited.
||Campsite fees are $19 per night (maximum of 8 people). Double campsites are $38 per night (maximum of 15 people). Senior, Age, and Access, passes provide cardholders a 50% discount on campground fees (this discount only applies to single campsites). Brainard Lake Recreation Area fees apply:
Interagency Annual, Military, Senior or Access passes, Golden Age and Golden Access passes are accepted.
- Passenger Vehicles & RVs (per vehicle/3 days): $10
- Vans (per vehicle/1 day): $25
- Buses (per vehicle/1 day): $40
- Motorcycles (per cycle/3 days): $5
- Hiker/Biker/Walker (per person/3 days): $1
- Short-term Bicyclist: 30 minute free pass
- American Land & Leisure Season Pass (passenger vehicles): $55
- American Land & Leisure Season Pass (hiker/biker/walker): $20
- Prohibited: Pack animals (horses/llamas); recreational shooting (except for legal hunting) and being on trails posted as closed.
- Brainard Lake Recreation Area Summer Season (May 1 - Nov 14): Dogs must be on a hand-held leash at all times; dispersed camping is prohibited. When open, camping is only allowed within Pawnee Campground (no camping is permitted in closed campgrounds).
- Brainard Lake Recreation Area Winter Season (Nov 15 - Apr 30): Motorized vehicles are prohibited; dogs allowed only on the Brainard Lake and Lefthand Park Reservoir Roads; camping is prohibited within 1/4 mile of developed recreation sites except Red Rock Lake.
- Fishing and Hunting: Permitted in accordance with regulations established by Colorado Parks & Wildlife.
||Concessionaire: American Land & Leisure
||Boulder Ranger District, 2140 Yarmouth Ave, Boulder, CO 80301, Phone 303-541-2500, Fax 303-541-2515; Contact Us
Directions: From Colorado Highway 72 at Ward, turn west onto the Brainard Lake Road. Travel 2.5 miles to the entrance portal, and continue another two miles to Pawnee Campground, located on the east side of Brainard Lake.