The Bell Rock Pathway is a 3.6 mile trail. Along this pathway you'll enjoy fantastic views of Bell Rock, Courthouse Butte, and other landmarks. Most of the pathway has a wide, hard surface, but there are some steep hills too. Some places around Bell Rock are rocky and rough.
There is a popular observation area on the west side of Bell Rock not accessible from the highway.
Photos & Multimedia
At a Glance
||Red Rock Pass or America the Beautiful Pass required for parking at both trailheads.
||Horses are prohibited on Bell Rock Pathway.
||Village of Oak Creek, AZ, and Sedona, AZ
||Red Rock Ranger District - 928-203-2900
Rating: Easy to Moderate
Hiking Time: Allow 2.5 hours
Area elevation: 4392 feet
- Equestrians: Horses are prohibited on Bell Rock Pathway.
- Cyclists: Please control your speed at all times and be prepared to stop quickly. Expect to find someone on the trail around every corner. Remember, it is the cyclist's responsibility to yield to all other trail users.
- The Pathway passes very close to Munds Mountain Wilderness. Please keep Wilderness "wild" for future visitors, leave no evidence of your visit.
- Please stay on the trail to help protect fragile soils and plants, and preserve the area's natural splendor.
There is a popular observation area on the west side of Bell Rock - not accessable from the highway.
Location: 31 miles south of Flagstaff in scenic Red Rock Country.
- North Trailhead (Map): 34°48'19.8"N 111°46'00.5"W
- South Trailhead (Map): 34°47'29.4"N 111°45'42.7"W
Access: From the junction of Routes 89A and 179 in Sedona, take 179 south 3.6 miles to a paved turnout and trailhead parking on the left (east) at milepost 309.8, .2 miles south of the entrance to the United Methodist Church for the northern trailhead.
For the southern trailhead, from the South Gateway Visitor Center, go 1 mile north to Bell Rock parking area on your right.
- Red Rock Country Maps: Download Red Rock Country trail maps and find other Sedona recreation resources. See the Sedona Southeast map for this trail.
- The Digital Travel Map Whether you're driving, hiking, riding, or exploring, you will find this full-color, GPS-enabled map a handy reference to have on your mobile device. The map show trails, recreation sites, major landmarks, and forest roads.
- Forest Service Topo Map (FSTopo Geo-enable PDF)
- More Maps:
Click map image for printable view.