Area Status: Closed
Benton Lake is a 33-acre lake completely surrounded by National Forest land. The North Country National Scenic Trail is located off Pierce Drive, about 2 miles east of the campground entrance road. This site is usually quiet, but there are lots of activities, including fishing, swimming, picnicking and hiking. This campground is very popular during hunting season.
At a Glance
||Open May 9 to September 14.
Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week unless otherwise posted. Forest quiet hours apply.
Concessionaire Fee -
Camping (per night):
Day Use (per vehicle)
Extra Vehicle: $6.00
||Special Use Permit -
- No special use permit is required for individuals or small groups (74 people or less).
- Permits are required for commercial, event or large groups (75 people or more).
||May 9 - Sept. 14
||May 15 to September 28
||Forest-wide Closures - Camping
Camping in Developed Recreation Areas
Being publicly nude
- Camping in a developed campground for a period longer than 14 consecutive days unless posted otherwise.
- Entering or being in a developed recreation site or portion thereof when posted CLOSED.
- Entering or remaining in a campground between 10 PM and 6 AM when posted - except for properly registered campers.
- Using a developed campsite by more than eight (8) people on a single unit or by more than sixteen (16) people on a double site.
- Parking or leaving a vehicle in violation of posted instructions, including the use of a handicap-parking site without a valid state permit properly displayed.
- Parking a vehicle outside the parking space assigned to one's own camp unit or other designated parking area.
- Occupying a developed campsite by parking more than one camper, trailer, or motor home (RV) on a single unit site. Parking more than two camping vehicles or camping trailers on a double unit site or exceeding limits to group sites unless otherwise posted.
- Parking, possessing, or leaving more than two vehicles per single unit camp site or four vehicles per double unit sites, except bicycles, motorcycles, or ATV's on trailers, unless posted otherwise.
- Storing, mooring, or leaving a boat or raft over 24 hours.
- Parking in violation of posted instructions.
||American Land and Leisure - (801) 226 - 3564
||Baldwin/White Cloud Ranger District
From White Cloud -
- Travel north on M-37 for 10.5 miles.
- Turn left and travel west on Pierce Dr. for 5 miles.
- The site is located on the right.
Location - Benton Lake
Nearby Recreation Areas -
- North Country National Scenic Trail
- Nichols Lake North
- Loda Lake National Wildflower Sanctuary
County - Newaygo
Seasonal and Other Information -
- The campground is gated when closed.
- The day use area is not gated during the off season.
- The day use area is not maintained in winter:
- Access road and/or parking lot are not plowed.
- No water and/or toilet facilities available.