Area Status: Closed
Benton Lake is a 33-acre lake completely surrounded by National Forest land. The North Country National Scenic Trail is located off Pierce Drive, about 2 miles east of the campground entrance road. This site is usually quiet, but there are lots of activities, including fishing, swimming, picnicking and hiking. This campground is very popular during hunting season.
At a Glance
||This campground is open May 5, 2016 to Sept. 11, 2016. Gated when closed. The sites at this campground are first come, first served.
||Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week unless otherwise posted. Forest quiet hours apply.
||Concessionaire Fee - Camping (per night):
Day Use (per vehicle)
- Per Day:$5.00
- Extra Vehicle: $6.00
||Special Use Permit -
Visit the Passes and Permits section for more information on obtaining a special use permit.
- No special use permit is required for individuals or small groups (74 people or less).
- Permits are required for commercial, event or large groups (75 people or more).
||May 5 - September 11
||As a visitor to the National Forest, you are asked to follow certain rules designed to protect the Forest, natural resources and to provide for public safety of visitors. These rules are available to you on-line or at any office of the Huron-Manistee National Forests. Please take time to read and understand them. General Topic orders apply across the Forests. Applicable Orders -
- Motorized Vehicle Use of Roads, Trails and Off-road Areas; R904-14-02
- Occupancy and Use - Developed Recreation Areas, Dispersed Areas, Being Publicly Nude, Marine Prohibitions, Parking and Sanitation; R904-14-03
||American Land and Leisure - (801) 226 - 3564
From White Cloud -
- Travel north on M-37 for 10.5 miles.
- Turn left and travel west on Pierce Dr. for 5 miles.
- The site is located on the right.
Location - Benton Lake
Nearby Recreation Areas -
- North Country National Scenic Trail
- Nichols Lake North
- Loda Lake National Wildflower Sanctuary
County - Newaygo
Seasonal and Other Information -
- The campground is gated when closed.
- The day use area is not gated during the off season.
- The day use area is not maintained in winter:
- Access road and/or parking lot are not plowed.
- No water and/or toilet facilities available.