Area Status: Open
Lying off of River Road National Scenic Byway, Iargo Springs provides a panoramic view of the Au Sable River. Used as a drinking water source since pre-settlement times, dams were constructed on the springs by early loggers before the turn of the century. The dams were useful in diverting water to the logging camps nearby. Most of Cooke Pond was dry land then.
Europeans have visited the springs for recreation since the 1920s. A trail to the springs was constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1934. Early photographs show the dam being repaired and reinforced by the CCC's. The dams lasted until 1981 when a storm took them out. The site was renovated in 1991. Steps were added and boardwalks along the springs, as well as the dams being rebuilt.
At a Glance
||Managed season is from April 1 to November 30.
Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week unless otherwise posted.
||Special Use Permit -
- No special use permit is required for individuals or small groups (74 people or less).
- Permits are required for commercial, event or large groups (75 people or more).
||April 1 to November 30
||Forest-wide Closures -
Camping in dispersed areas:
Being publicly nude.
- Camping within two hundred (200) feet of any body of water, except at designated sites.
- Camping in a area which is posted closed and/or no camping.
- Camping within 450 feet of developed recreation areas.
- Storing, mooring, or leaving a boat or raft over 24 hours.
- Parking in violation of posted instructions.
||Huron Shores Ranger Station - (989) 739-0728
- Travel west on M-55 for 14.7 miles.
- Turn right and travel north on M-65 for 18 miles.
- Turn right and travel east on River Rd. for 1 mile.
- The site is located on the left.
From Oscoda -
- Travel west on River Road for 17 miles.
- The site is located on the right.
Location - River Road National Scenic Byway, Au Sable River
Nearby Recreation Areas -
- Highbanks Trail
- Canoers Memorial
County - Iosco
Seasonal and Other Information -
- This site is not gated during the off season.
- This site is not maintained in winter:
- Access road and/or trailhead are not plowed.
- No toilet facilities are available.