Area Status: Not Cleared
As visitors exit McKinley Road to enter the Au Sable Loop Scenic Overlook, they will first see a panoramic vista of the National Scenic portion of the Au Sable River. An exemplary setting for wildlife viewing, visitors and campers will see a melding of habitats as the river turns to forest and then to field. The campground is set amidst a mixed hardwood forest. Please respect wildlife and observe from a distance. From the Au Sable Loop Scenic Overlook follow the unpaved road to reach the campground.
To download the Au Sable River, National Scenic River, brochure, with map, visit the Maps and Publications section of the website or select this link: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5325280.pdf. This brochure is set to print on 11 x 17 paper, landscape (wide) orientation. To print on 8 1/2 x 11 paper set the print area to "shrink to printable area", this will make the text on the page smaller.
At a Glance
||Managed season is from April 15 to November 30.
Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week unless otherwise posted. Forest quiet hours apply.
|Rentals & Guides:
||Canoe Rentals -
- Gotts Landing
- Hinchman's Acres Resort
- Au Sable River Kayaking Company LLC; B & B LLC (Hunts)
- Oscoda Canoe Rental
Recreation Enhancement Act Fee -
Day Use -
||Special Use Permit -
- No special use permit is required for individuals or small groups (74 people or less).
- Permits are required for commercial, event or large groups (75 people or more).
||April 15 - November 30
||April 1 to November 14
||May to September
||Forest-wide Closures - Camping
Camping in Developed Recreation Areas
Being publicly nude
- Camping in a developed campground for a period longer than 14 consecutive days unless posted otherwise.
- Entering or being in a developed recreation site or portion thereof when posted CLOSED.
- Entering or remaining in a campground between 10 PM and 6 AM when posted - except for properly registered campers.
- Using a developed campsite by more than eight (8) people on a single unit or by more than sixteen (16) people on a double site.
- Parking or leaving a vehicle in violation of posted instructions, including the use of a handicap-parking site without a valid state permit properly displayed.
- Parking a vehicle outside the parking space assigned to one's own camp unit or other designated parking area.
- Occupying a developed campsite by parking more than one camper, trailer, or motor home (RV) on a single unit site. Parking more than two camping vehicles or camping trailers on a double unit site or exceeding limits to group sites unless otherwise posted.
- Parking, possessing, or leaving more than two vehicles per single unit camp site or four vehicles per double unit sites, except bicycles, motorcycles, or ATV's on trailers, unless posted otherwise.
- Storing, mooring, or leaving a boat or raft over 24 hours.
- Parking in violation of posted instructions.
||Mio Ranger District - (989) 826-3252
From Grayling -
- Travel east on M-72 for 30 miles.
- Turn left and go north on M-72/M-33 for .5 miles.
- Turn right and go east on McKinley Rd. for 3 miles.
- Turn right and follow the signs to the site.
Location - Au Sable National Scenic River
Nearby Recreation Sites -
- River Dune Campground
- Au Sable Loop Scenic Overlook
County - Oscoda
Seasonal and Other Information -
- This site is not gated during the off season.
- This site is not maintained in winter:
- Access road and/or parking lot are not plowed.
- No toilet facilities are available.