Area Status: Open
A small, quiet campground, this site is primarily used by river paddlers. Located in stands of mixed hardwoods and pine, campers may be surprised by a wildlife visitor or two while enjoying close-up views of the river.
To download the Au Sable River, National Scenic River, brochure, with map, visit the Maps and Publications section of the website or select this link: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5325280.pdf. This brochure is set to print on 11 x 17 paper, landscape (wide) orientation. To print on 8 1/2 x 11 paper set the print area to "shrink to printable area", this will make the text on the page smaller.
At a Glance
||Managed season is from April 15 to November 30.
Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week unless otherwise posted. Forest quiet hours apply.
|Rentals & Guides:
||Canoe Rentals -
- Gotts Landing
- Hinchman's Acres Resort
- Au Sable River Kayaking Company LLC; B & B LLC (Hunts)
- Oscoda Canoe Rental
||Special Use Permit -
- No special use permit is required for individuals or small groups (74 people or less).
- Permits are required for commercial, event or large groups (75 people or more).
||April 1 to November 14
||May to September
||Au Sable River Corridor - Camping
Forest-wide Closures - Camping
Camping in dispersed areas:
- Camping is prohibited in the Au Sable National Scenic River Corridor on the Huron-Manistee National Forests, except at designated campgrounds or campsites.
- Using a designated campsite or other area described in the order by more than 10 persons at one time.
Being publicly nude.
- Camping within two hundred (200) feet of any body of water, except at designated sites.
- Camping in a area which is posted closed and/or no camping.
- Storing, mooring, or leaving a boat or raft over 24 hours.
- Parking in violation of posted instructions.
||Mio Ranger District - (989) 826-3252
From Grayling -
- Travel east on M-72 for 30 miles.
- Turn left and travel north on M-72/M-33 for .5 miles.
- Turn right and travel east on McKinley Dr.
- Turn right and travel south on E. River Dr. for <.1 miles.
- Turn left and travel east on Reed Rd./FR 4836 for 1 mile.
- The entrance is located on the right.
Location -Au Sable River, National Scenic River
Nearby Recreation Areas -
- McKinley Landing
- Gabions Campground and Day Use Area
County - Oscoda
Seasonal and Other Information -
- This site is not gated durng the off season.
- This site is not maintained in the winter:
- Access road and/or parking lot are not plowed.
- No toilet facilities are available.