Area Status: Open
Gabions Campground offers camping on the National Scenic stretch of the Au Sable River. Natural springs are common on this section of the river, including a small one at the river's edge near the gabions. Gabions are rock-filled wire baskets that are placed along the riverbank to help reduce erosion.
The Shore-to-Shore Trail passes near the campground; however, Gabions is not a designated horse camp and horse camping is not permitted. Wildlife and waterfowl viewing opportunities exist; please respect wildlife and observe from a distance.
To download the Au Sable River, National Scenic River, brochure, with map, visit the Maps and Publications section of the website or select this link: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5325280.pdf. This brochure is set to print on 11 x 17 paper, landscape (wide) orientation. To print on 8 1/2 x 11 paper set the print area to "shrink to printable area", this will make the text on the page smaller.
At a Glance
||Managed season is from April 15 to November 30.
Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week unless otherwise posted. Forest quiet hours apply.
|Rentals & Guides:
||Canoe Rentals -
- Gotts Landing
- Hinchman's Acres Resort
- Au Sable River Kayaking Company LLC; B & B LLC (Hunts)
- Oscoda Canoe Rental
Recreation Enhancement Act Fee - Day Use -
||Special Use Permit -
- No special use permit is required for individuals or small groups (74 people or less).
- Permits are required for commercial, event or large groups (75 people or more).
||April 1 to November 14
||May to September
||Forest-wide Closures - Camping
Camping in Developed Recreation Areas
Being publicly nude
- Camping in a developed campground for a period longer than 14 consecutive days unless posted otherwise.
- Entering or being in a developed recreation site or portion thereof when posted CLOSED.
- Entering or remaining in a campground between 10 PM and 6 AM when posted - except for properly registered campers.
- Using a developed campsite by more than eight (8) people on a single unit or by more than sixteen (16) people on a double site.
- Parking or leaving a vehicle in violation of posted instructions, including the use of a handicap-parking site without a valid state permit properly displayed.
- Parking a vehicle outside the parking space assigned to one's own camp unit or other designated parking area.
- Occupying a developed campsite by parking more than one camper, trailer, or motor home (RV) on a single unit site. Parking more than two camping vehicles or camping trailers on a double unit site or exceeding limits to group sites unless otherwise posted.
- Parking, possessing, or leaving more than two vehicles per single unit camp site or four vehicles per double unit sites, except bicycles, motorcycles, or ATV's on trailers, unless posted otherwise.
- Storing, mooring, or leaving a boat or raft over 24 hours.
- Parking in violation of posted instructions.
||Mio Ranger District - (989) 826-3252
From Grayling -
- Travel east on M-72 for 30 miles.
- Turn right and go south on M-33 for 6 miles.
- Turn left and go east on County Rd. 604/Curtisville Rd. for 15.5 miles.
- Turn left on FR 4134.
- Road will terminate at the campground.
Location - Au Sable National Scenic River
Nearby Recreation Areas -
- 4001 Canoe Landing
- Shore to Shore Trail
County - Alcona
Seasonal and Other Information -
- This site is not gated during the off season.
- This site is not maintained in winter:
- Access road and/or parking lot are not plowed.
- No toilet facilities are available.