Area Status: Open
This river access is on the flies only, catch and release portion of the river. The river bottom is mostly gravel and is a very good area for brown trout. The path to the river borders posted private land on one side before reaching the stairs to the river. The stairs to the river are steep, and will be a workout for those who make the attempt. The pine and oak forest is a good area for wildlife watching and visitors may see a deer or two while heading to the river.
To download the Pere Marquette River, National Scenic River, brochure, with map, visit the Maps and Publications section of the website or select this link: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5180864.pdf. This brochure is set to print on 11 x 17 paper, landscape (wide) orientation. To print on 8 1/2 x 11 paper set the print area to "shrink to printable area", this will make the text on the page smaller.
At a Glance
||Managed season is from April 1 to November 31.
||Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week unless otherwise posted. Forest quiet hours apply.
||Recreation Enhancement Act Fee - Day Use -
||Special Use Permit -
Visit the Passes and Permits section for more information on obtaining a special use permit.
- No special use permit is required for individuals or small groups (74 people or less).
- Permits are required for commercial, event or large groups (75 people or more).
||April 1 - November 30
||January 1 to December 31
||March to June, September to November
||As a visitor to the National Forest, you are asked to follow certain rules designed to protect the Forest, natural resources and to provide for public safety of visitors. These rules are available to you on-line or at any office of the Huron-Manistee National Forests. Please take time to read and understand them. General Topic orders apply across the Forests. Applicable Orders -
- Motorized Vehicle Use of Roads, Trails and Off-road Areas; R904-14-02
- Occupancy and Use - Developed Recreation Areas, Dispersed Areas, Being Publicly Nude, Marine Prohibitions, Parking and Sanitation; R904-14-03
- Pere Marquette National Scenic River Corridor; R904-14-14
||Baldwin White Cloud Ranger District - Phone (231) 745-4631
From Baldwin -
- Travel west on 52nd. St. for .25 miles.
- Turn left and travel south on Astor Rd. for .5 miles.
- Turn left and go south on S. Claybanks Rd.
- End at the site.
Location - Pere Marquette National Scenic River
Nearby Recreation Areas - None
County - Lake
Seasonal and Other Information -
- This site is not gated during the off season.
- This site is not maintained in winter:
- Access road and/or parking lot are not plowed.
- No toilet facilities are available.