Area Status: Not Cleared
This river access is on the flies only, catch and release portion of the river. The river bottom is mostly gravel and is a very good area for brown trout. The path to the river borders posted private land on one side before reaching the stairs to the river. The stairs to the river are steep, and will be a workout for those who make the attempt. The pine and oak forest is a good area for wildlife watching and visitors may see a deer or two while heading to the river.
To download the Pere Marquette River, National Scenic River, brochure, with map, visit the Maps and Publications section of the website or select this link: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5180864.pdf. This brochure is set to print on 11 x 17 paper, landscape (wide) orientation. To print on 8 1/2 x 11 paper set the print area to "shrink to printable area", this will make the text on the page smaller.
At a Glance
||Managed season ends October 15. No services after October 15.
Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week unless otherwise posted. Forest quiet hours apply.
Recreation Enhancement Act Fee - Day Use -
||January 1 to December 31
||March to June, September to November
||Forest-wide Closures - Camping
Camping in Developed Recreation Areas
Being publicly nude
- Camping in a developed campground for a period longer than 14 consecutive days unless posted otherwise.
- Entering or being in a developed recreation site or portion thereof when posted CLOSED.
- Entering or remaining in a campground between 10 PM and 6 AM when posted - except for properly registered campers.
- Using a developed campsite by more than eight (8) people on a single unit or by more than sixteen (16) people on a double site.
- Parking or leaving a vehicle in violation of posted instructions, including the use of a handicap-parking site without a valid state permit properly displayed.
- Parking a vehicle outside the parking space assigned to one's own camp unit or other designated parking area.
- Occupying a developed campsite by parking more than one camper, trailer, or motor home (RV) on a single unit site. Parking more than two camping vehicles or camping trailers on a double unit site or exceeding limits to group sites unless otherwise posted.
- Parking, possessing, or leaving more than two vehicles per single unit camp site or four vehicles per double unit sites, except bicycles, motorcycles, or ATV's on trailers, unless posted otherwise.
- Storing, mooring, or leaving a boat or raft over 24 hours.
- Parking in violation of posted instructions.
||Baldwin White Cloud Ranger District - Phone (231) 745-4631
From Baldwin -
- Travel west on 52nd. St. for .25 miles.
- Turn left and travel south on Astor Rd. for .5 miles.
- Turn left and go south on S. Claybanks Rd.
- End at the site.
Location - Pere Marquette National Scenic River
Nearby Recreation Areas - None
County - Lake
Seasonal and Other Information -
- This site is not gated during the off season.
- This site is not maintained in winter:
- Access road and/or parking lot are not plowed.
- No toilet facilities are available.