Area Status: Open
Lake Michigan Recreation Area is a four loop campground located on the shoreline to Lake Michigan between Manistee and Ludington. In addition to the 99 single family sites and 3 group sites, the site also boasts a day use area with multiple picnic tables, pavilions and a playground, an ampitheater and an overlook. Arrowhead Trail, which runs through the campground, connects to the wilderness trails that traverse Nordhouse Dunes Wilderness Area.
Brochure with map: This is the brochure for Nordhouse Dunes, which also shows Lake Michigan Recreation Area. This brochure is set to print on 8.5x14 paper, landscape (wide) orientation. To print on 8 1/2 x 11 paper set the print area to "shrink to printable area", this will make the text on the page smaller.
Campground Site Map: this map is located on Recreation.gov.
Flickr Photo Album
At a Glance
Camping loops are gated when closed. Day Use Area(s) -
- All Loops: loops are open from May 5, 2016 to Oct. 10, 2016.
- Oak and Violet Loops: open for limited use from Oct. 11, 2016 to Oct. 14, 2016.
This area is gated when closed. Campground Reservations:
- Beach Access: managed season starts April 1, 2016.
- Day Use Area - Picnic Area: Managed Season starts May 1, 2016 and ends Dec. 1, 2016.
- Hemlock and Violet Loops: No reservation needed. All sites are first come, first serve.
- Orchid and Oak Loops (25 sites on each loop): Reservations needed May 5 to Sept. 11.
||Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week unless otherwise posted.
||Concessionaire Fee - Camping (per night):
Recreation Enhancement Act Fee - Beach and Picnic Day Use Areas -
- Single Site: $21.00
- Double Site: $25.00
- Group Site (up to 25 people): $50.00
- Group Site (26 – 50 people): $65.00
- Extra Vehicle: $6.00/vehicle
||Special Use Permit -
Visit the Passes and Permits section for more information on obtaining a special use permit.
- No special use permit is required for individuals or small groups (74 people or less).
- Permits are required for commercial, event or large groups (75 people or more).
||May to October
||As a visitor to the National Forest, you are asked to follow certain rules designed to protect the Forest, natural resources and to provide for public safety of visitors.
These rules are available to you on-line or at any office of the Huron-Manistee National Forests. Please take time to read and understand them. General Topic orders apply across the Forests.
Applicable Orders -
- Motorized Vehicle Use of Roads, Trails and Off-road Areas; R904-14-02
- Occupancy and Use - Developed Recreation Areas, Dispersed Areas, Being Publicly Nude, Marine Prohibitions, Parking and Sanitation; R904-14-03
- Nordhouse Dunes Wilderness Area; R904-14-09
- Piping Plover; R904-14-11
||American Land and Leisure
From Manistee -
Travel south on US-31 for 10 miles.
Turn right and travel west on W. Forest Trail Rd. for 8 miles.
W. Forest Trail Rd. becomes FR 5629. Continue west on FR 5629.
The road terminates at the site.
Location - Lake Michigan
Nearby Recreation Areas -
Nordhouse Dunes Wilderness Area
Nordhouse Dunes Wilderness Trails