Area Status: Closed
Lake Michigan Recreation Area is a four loop campground located on the shoreline to Lake Michigan between Manistee and Ludington. In addition to the 99 single family sites and 3 group sites, the site also boasts a day use area with multiple picnic tables, pavilions and a playground, an ampitheater and an overlook. Arrowhead Trail, which runs through the campground, connects to the wilderness trails that traverse Nordhouse Dunes Wilderness Area.
Brochure with map: This is the brochure for Nordhouse Dunes, which also shows Lake Michigan Recreation Area. This brochure is set to print on 8.5x14 paper, landscape (wide) orientation. To print on 8 1/2 x 11 paper set the print area to "shrink to printable area", this will make the text on the page smaller.
Campground Site Map: this map is located on Recreation.gov.
Flickr Photo Album
At a Glance
Camping loops are gated when closed. Day Use Area(s) -
- All Loops: loops are open from May 5, 2016 to Oct. 10, 2016.
- Oak and Violet Loops: open for limited use from Oct. 11, 2016 to Oct. 14, 2016.
This area is gated when closed. Campground Reservations:
- Beach Access: managed season starts April 1, 2016.
- Day Use Area - Picnic Area: Managed Season starts May 1, 2016 and ends Dec. 1, 2016.
- Hemlock and Violet Loops: No reservation needed. All sites are first come, first serve.
- Orchid and Oak Loops (25 sites on each loop): Reservations needed May 5 to Sept. 11.
||Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week unless otherwise posted.
||Recreation Enhancement Act Fee - Day Use -
||Special Use Permit -
- No special use permit is required for individuals or small groups (74 people or less).
- Permits are required for commercial, event or large groups (75 people or more).
||May to October
||Forest-wide Closures - Camping in dispersed areas:
Being publicly nude. Storing Watercraft
- Camping within two hundred (200) feet of any body of water, except at designated sites.
- Camping in an area which is posted closed and/or no camping.
- Camping within 450 feet of developed recreation areas.
- Storing, mooring, or leaving a boat or raft over 24 hours.
- Parking in violation of posted instructions.
||American Land and Leisure
From Manistee -
Travel south on US-31 for 10 miles.
Turn right and travel west on W. Forest Trail Rd. for 8 miles.
W. Forest Trail Rd. becomes FR 5629. Continue west on FR 5629.
The road terminates at the site.
Location - Lake Michigan
Nearby Recreation Areas -
Nordhouse Dunes Wilderness Area
Nordhouse Dunes Wilderness Trails