Area Status: Not Cleared
This is the last take-out on the Pine River and is the most heavily used site because of it. A fenced overlook allows visitors a scenic view of the river, as well as a quiet place to wait for paddlers. A low bridge that the site is named for, crosses the river and is too low for canoes to pass under and is adjacent to a county road. The road and bridge often flood. The county road is a snowmobile trail in the winter.
To download the Pine River, National Scenic River, brochure, with map, visit the Maps and Publications section of the website or select this link: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5172185.pdf. This brochure is set to print on 11 x 17 paper, landscape (wide) orientation. To print on 8 1/2 x 11 paper set the print area to "shrink to printable area", this will make the text on the page smaller.
At a Glance
||Managed season ends October 31.
Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week unless otherwise posted.
|Rentals & Guides:
Canoe Rentals -
- Carl's Canoe Livery
- Pine River Paddlesport Center
- Horina's Canoe and Kayak
- Sportsman's Port
Recreation Enhancement Act Fee -
Watercraft Permits -
Day Use -
Reservations are not required, but are recommended. Visit the Passes and Permits section for more information.
||Watercraft Permit -
Special Use Permit -
- Required May 15 to September 10.
- No special use permit is required for individuals or small groups (74 people or less).
- Permits are required for commercial, event or large groups (75 people or more).
|| - October 31
||January 1 to December 31
||Pine River Corridor -
- Camping within a ¼ mile of Pine National Scenic River, except at Peterson Bridge campground.
- Leaving a watercraft unattended more than 36 hours.
- Launching a watercraft except at designated sites.
- Entering, leaving or using National Forest lands in the Pine National Scenic River Corridor with the intent to launch or retrieve a watercraft before 9:00 am or after 6:00 pm. during the period of Memorial Day Weekend through Labor Day Weekend, unless authorized by permit.
- Possessing, storing or transporting Styrofoam coolers, glass beverage and/or food containers on the Pine National Scenic River.
||Cadillac Manistee Ranger District - (231) 723-2211
From Manistee -
- Travel east on M-55 for 20 miles.
- Turn right (before the bridge over the Pine River) and travel south on FR 5996 for 1 mile.
- The entrance is on the right.
Location - Pine National Scenic River
Nearby Recreation Areas -
- Udell Hills
- Dorner Lake Day Use Area
- Pine Lake Campground
- Sand Lake Recreation Area
- Udell Lookout Tower
- Marzinski Horse Trail
County - Manistee
Seasonal and Other Information -
- This site is not gated in the off season.
- From December to March the County Road is a snowmobile trail.
- This site is not maintained in witner:
- The access road and/or parking lot is not plowed.
- No toilet facilities are available.