Area Status: Open
This is the last take-out on the Pine River and is the most heavily used site because of it. A fenced overlook allows visitors a scenic view of the river, as well as a quiet place to wait for paddlers. A low bridge that the site is named for, crosses the river and is too low for canoes to pass under and is adjacent to a county road. The road and bridge often flood. The county road is a snowmobile trail in the winter.
To download the Pine River, National Scenic River, brochure, with map, visit the Maps and Publications section of the website or select this link: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5172185.pdf. This brochure is set to print on 11 x 17 paper, landscape (wide) orientation. To print on 8 1/2 x 11 paper set the print area to "shrink to printable area", this will make the text on the page smaller.
At a Glance
||Managed Season starts Apr. 1, 2016 and ends Dec. 1, 2016. This site is gated when closed.
||Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week unless otherwise posted.
|Rentals & Guides:
Canoe Rentals -
- Carl's Canoe Livery
- Pine River Paddlesport Center
- Horina's Canoe and Kayak
- Sportsman's Port
||Recreation Enhancement Act Fee - Watercraft Permits -
Day Use -
||Watercraft Permit -
Special Use Permit -
- Required Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day weekend
- No special use permit is required for individuals or small groups (74 people or less).
- Permits are required for commercial, event or large groups (75 people or more).
||April 1 - December 1
||January 1 to December 31
||Pine River Corridor - Camping -
- Camping within a ¼ mile of Pine National Scenic River, except at Peterson Bridge campground.
- Leaving a watercraft unattended more than 36 hours.
- Launching a watercraft except at designated sites.
- Entering, leaving or using National Forest lands in the Pine National Scenic River Corridor with the intent to launch or retrieve a watercraft before 9:00 am or after 6:00 pm. during the period of Memorial Day Weekend through Labor Day Weekend, unless authorized by permit.
- Possessing, storing or transporting Styrofoam coolers, glass beverage and/or food containers on the Pine National Scenic River.
||Cadillac Manistee Ranger District - (231) 723-2211
||Cadillac/Manistee Ranger District 231-723-2211 firstname.lastname@example.org
From Manistee -
Travel east on M-55 for 20 miles.
Turn right (before the bridge over the Pine River) and travel south on FR 5996 for 1 mile.
The entrance is on the right.
Location - Pine National Scenic River
Nearby Recreation Areas -
Dorner Lake Day Use Area
Pine Lake Campground
Sand Lake Recreation Area
Udell Lookout Tower
Marzinski Horse Trail
County - Manistee