Area Status: Open
The Big "M" trail is a 37.9 mile loop trail system located in a canopy of hardwoods off of M-55 between Cadillac and Wellston. The trail offers a variety of terrain to challenge every biking and skiing experience level as you traverse up and down hills through the woods.
Mountain Biking - Most of the 25-miles of single track trail are one-way (clock-wise) and should not be biked backwards. The bike trail is open from April to September.
Cross-Country Skiing - The 18-miles of trail are groomed and the parking lot is plowed in winter, usually starting in December. There is also a chalet available for skiers. Snowfall averages 130 inches from December to March, but the best skiing is usually in January and February. One loop provides several miles of ungroomed trail that is is perfect for snowshoeing.
Hiking - Although the trail is primarily used by Mountain Bikers, it is open to hiking. The trail runs near, but is not connected to, the North Country National Scenic Trail for a short stretch.
The Marzinski Horseback Riding Trail also crosses the Big M trail at two locations.
At a Glance
||This trail is groomed.
Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, unless otherwise posted.
Recreation Enhancement Act Fee - Day Use -
||Special Use Permit -
- No special use permit is required for individuals or small groups (74 people or less).
- Permits are required for commercial, event or large groups (75 people or more).
||March 15 to October 15
- Pets on leash
- Cross-country skiing
- Nonmotorized mechanized equipment other then bikes
Forest-wide Closures -
Camping in dispersed areas:
- Motorized vehicles
- Over-snow motorized vehicles
Being publicly nude.
- Camping within two hundred (200) feet of any body of water, except at designated sites.
- Camping in an area which is posted closed and/or no camping.
- Camping within 450 feet of developed recreation areas.
- Storing, mooring, or leaving a boat or raft over 24 hours.
- Parking in violation of posted instructions.
||Cadillac Manistee Ranger District - (231) 723-2211
From Manistee -
- Travel east on M-55 for 14 miles.
- Turn right and travel south on E. Udell Hills Rd. for 3.5 miles.
- The site entrance road is located on the right.
Location - Cadillac/Wellston Area
Nearby Recreation Areas -
- Hemlock Campground
- Briar Hills Semi-Primitive Nonmotorized Area
- Caberfae Scenic Overlook
- MacKenzie Cross-Country Ski and Mountain Bike Trail
County - Manistee
Seasonal and Other Information -
- This site is not gated during the off season.
- This site is maintained in winter:
- Access road and/or parking lot are plowed.