Area Status: Open
This trail runs along the south shore of the Lower Au Sable River. Eagle Run provides a loop trail system for hiking and cross-country skiing.
Scenic views of the Au Sable River, and a quiet, remote setting allow visitors to experience nature first hand. The trails are maintained with the support of volunteers.
Brochure with map:
- River Road National Scenic Byway (pdf) - this brochure shows River Road, the Au Sable River and Lumberman's Monument
- Highbanks River Trail Map (coming soon)
- Eagle Run Trail Map (coming soon)
The brochure is set to print on 11 x 17 paper, landscape (wide) orientation. To print on 8 1/2 x 11 paper set the print area to "shrink to printable area", this will make the text on the page smaller. The trail maps are set to printon 8.5x11 paper.
Flickr Photo Albums:
At a Glance
||This trail is groomed. The trailhead is plowed.
||Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week unless otherwise posted.
||Au Sable River Primitive Camping -
Special Use Permit -
- No permit or reservation is required outside of the permitted season.
- Camping Permit required at primitive campsites from May 15 to September 10.
Visit the Passes and Permits section for more information on obtaining a special use permit.
- No special use permit is required for individuals or small groups (74 people or less).
- Permits are required for commercial, event or large groups (75 people or more).
||January 1 to December 31
||Allowed - Nonmotorized and nonmotorized snow use
Prohibited - Motorized and over-snow motorized Vehicles
Discouraged - Dog sleds and pack/saddle animals on groomed ski trails.
As a visitor to the National Forest, you are asked to follow certain rules designed to protect the Forest, natural resources and to provide for public safety of visitors. These rules are available to you on-line or at any office of the Huron-Manistee National Forests.
Applicable Orders -
- Au Sable River and Cooke Pond Semi-primitive Motorized Areas, shorelines of Alcona Pond and the Eable Run Trail System; R904-14-21
- Motorized Vehicle Use of Roads, Trails and Off-road Areas; R904-14-02
- Occupancy and Use; R904-14-03
||Huron Shores Ranger Station - 5761 N. Skeel Rd., Oscoda, MI 48750
From Oscoda -
Travel west on River Rd. for 2.5 miles.
The site is located on the right.
Location - River Road National Scenic Byway, Au Sable River
Nearby Recreation Areas -
County - Iosco
Season and Other Information -
This site is not gated during the off season.
Trail is groomed.
This site is not maintained in the winter:
Access road and/or parking lot are not plowed.
No water and/or toilet facilities are available.
Trail is hard-packed ground