Area Status: Open
Foote Pond Overlook provides a spectacular view from the high sand bluffs overlooking Foote Pond. Visitors may see the eagles that nest nearby. The Overlook has a paved access read and parking and barrier-free access to a wood deck. The access road and parking lot are too tight for busses or motor homes to negotiate.
Brochure with map:
- River Road National Scenic Byway (pdf) - this brochure shows River Road, the Au Sable River and Lumberman's Monument
- Highbanks River Trail Map (coming soon)
- Eagle Run Trail Map (coming soon)
The brochure is set to print on 11 x 17 paper, landscape (wide) orientation. To print on 8 1/2 x 11 paper set the print area to "shrink to printable area", this will make the text on the page smaller. The trail maps are set to printon 8.5x11 paper.
Flickr Photo Albums:
At a Glance
||Managed Season starts Apr. 1, 2016 and ends Nov. 30, 2016.
||Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week unless otherwise posted.
||Au Sable River Primitive Camping -
Special Use Permit -
- No permit or reservation is required outside of the permitted season.
- Camping Permit required at primitive campsites from May 15 to September 10.
Visit the Passes and Permits section for more information on obtaining a special use permit.
- No special use permit is required for individuals or small groups (74 people or less).
- Permits are required for commercial, event or large groups (75 people or more).
||April 1 to November 30
||As a visitor to the National Forest, you are asked to follow certain rules designed to protect the Forest, natural resources and to provide for public safety of visitors. These rules are available to you on-line or at any office of the Huron-Manistee National Forests. Please take time to read and understand them. General Topic orders apply across the Forests. Applicable Orders -
Highlights - Camping is prohibited, except at designated campgrounds or campsites.
- Au Sable River and Cooke Pond Semi-primitive Motorized Areas, shorelines of Alcona Pond and the Eable Run Trail System; R904-14-21
- Motorized Vehicle Use of Roads, Trails and Off-road Areas; R904-14-02
- Occupancy and Use; R904-14-03
||Huron Shores Ranger Station - (989) 739 - 0728
From Oscoda -
Travel west on River Rd. for 10 miles.
Site is located on the right.
Location - River Road National Scenic Byway, Au Sable River
Nearby Recreation Areas - None
County - Iosco
Seasonal and Other Information -
This site is not gated in the off season.
This site is not maintained in winter:
Access road and/or parking lot are not plowed.
Accessible parking is available.
The path to the observation area is paved and over 36' wide.
The observation deck is paved.