The easy access to this beautiful chain of lakes make Little Lakes Valley popular for fishing, day hikes and beginning backpackers. Glaciers carved this extensive chain of lakes, both large and small. Wildflowers bloom in the high elevation framed by the spectacular 13,000-foot peaks of Bear Creek Spire, Mt. Dade, Mt. Abbot and Mt. Mills. Some evidence of historical mining equipment can be seen, along with an old road bed at Morgan Pass. This is an active bear area so you must use bear containers to secure your food and refuse.
Download area map for trail location.
To purchase more detailed maps or guidebooks of the area, visit esiaonline.com
At a Glance
Reserve up to 6 months in advance at Recreation.gov
Day use does not require a permit.
Rentals & Guides:
Rock Creek Pack Station is located on Rock Creek Road providing wilderness pack trips and day rides. For information call 760-935-4493 or 760-872-8331 or visit www.RockCreekPackStation.com.
Day use does not require a permit. Wilderness permits are required for overnight trips into the John Muir Wilderness. Permits to start on this trail are issued at Inyo National Forest visitor centers.
- No campfires anywhere in this valley.
- Bear containers are required for storage of food and trash.
- Groups cannot be larger than 15 people (includes day use).
- Quota of 25 people permitted to start overnight trips each day from May 1 to November 1.
- Check the area map for the correct trail name. Trips going toward Mono Pass are a different permit.
- This area is near Bighorn Sheep habitat. Use of pack goats is not advised in order to protect the health of the wild sheep.
- John Muir Wilderness regulations apply.
Crowley Lake and Toms Place have gas and limited services. Full services available in Mammoth Lakes or Bishop, CA.
Water from creeks, lakes and springs should be treated before drinking.
Vault toilet at trailhead. Please Leave No Trace. Bury human waste away from water sources.
Wilderness permit information (760) 873-2483
Area information call White Mountain Visitor Center (760) 873-2500
From Bishop go north on Hwy 395 to Tom's Place. Follow Rock Creek Road to Mosquito Flat, and the end of the road where there is paved hiker parking.