The Baxter Pass trail provides access to the John Muir Wilderness. After climbing more than 6,000 feet of elevation to the Sierra Crest, the trail continues into Kings Canyon National Park . This trail is steep, rugged and difficult to locate in some places. It is not recommended for stock.
Reserve up to 6 months in advance at Recreation.gov
Day use does not require a permit.
- Wilderness permits are required for overnight trips.
- Day use does not require a permit.
- Permits are issued at Inyo National Forest visitor centers.
Baxter Area: Special approval is required for commercial guide use of this area.
- No campfires above 10,400 ft.
- Food and refuse must be stored so that animals cannot get into the food or trash.
- Overnight trips have a quota of 8 people each day. Quota is in effect from May 1 to November 1.
- John Muir Wilderness regulations apply.
- Sequoia and Kings Canyon wilderness regulations apply if entering the National Park.
Water from creeks, lakes, and springs should be treated before drinking.
Vault toilet at trailhead. Please Leave No Trace, bury human waste away from water sources.