Area Status: Open
Collegiate Peaks campground is heavily wooded with 56 campsites arranged along 3 loops. This campground offers visitors an opportunity for a quiet camping experience with plenty of space between campsites. The Middle Fork of Cottonwood Creek flows along the south side of the campground.
Nearby hiking trails include Ptarmigan Lake and the Denny Creek Trail. The Ptarmigan Lake trailhead is located about 2.75 miles west of Collegiate Peaks campground. Denny Creek is located 1 mile west of the campground and accesses the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness area.
At a Glance
||Check in: 2 pm
Check out: 12 pm (noon)
Quiet hours: 10 pm to 6 am
||Phone 877-444-6777 or visit www.recreation.gov at least 4 days in advance. Friday and Saturday night minimum required stay on weekends. 3 nights minimum on holiday weekends. Walk-ups are exempt from the nightly minimum.
||Tent camping,Camping trailer,Picnic tables,Toilets,Drinking water,Parking
$20.00 fee per site for overnight camping. Two (2) vehicles or one (1) RV per site is included in the camping fee. $6.00 for a third vehicle.
$6.00 fee for day use if not camping overnight.
Fees are payable by cash, check or money order. Self-servicing fee tube is available.
First-come, first-served sites must be occupied the SAME NIGHT.
Golden Age and Golden Access Cardholder: 50% discount off the camping fee only.
||Summer and Fall
||The following restrictions apply to this campground:
- Maximum 8 persons per site: 2 tents and 2 vehicles or 1 recreation vehicle (RV).
- Maximum RV length is 50 ft.
- Due to the presence of endangered boreal toads (Anaxyrus boreas boreas) in the beaver ponds, anglers are asked to disinfect their waders and boots with a bleach and water solution. This is to prevent the spread of a chytrid fungus that can kill the tiny toads. Do not remove or injure the toads, their eggs, or tadpoles.
- Dogs must be leashed at all times.
- No discharge of firearms or fireworks.
- Only licensed vehicles can operate inside campground.
- Camping is NOT ALLOWED behind a LOCKED GATE.
||Potable Water, No showers, Limited water available - no water hookups
The Interagency Senior Pass (previously known as the Golden Age Pass) and the Interagency Access Pass qualifies for a 50% discount at concessionaire run campsites. The discount only applies to the fee for the campsite physically occupied by the pass owner, not to any additional campsite(s) occupied by members of the pass owner's party.
||Rocky Mountain Recreation Company
||Salida Ranger District at (719) 539-3591.
Peak season: 05/15-09/14; extended season: 09/15-09/28.
During peak season, this campground is a full-service campground. Extended season has reduced service such as water, trash, or a host may not be available.
From Buena Vista, CO, take Highway 306. At light, go west for 11 miles toward Cottonwood Pass. Campground is located on the left-hand side of the road. Highway 306 is paved on the east side of Cottonwood Pass.
Parking is limited to the parking pads provided at the campsites.