The Gifford Pinchot National Forest is located in the south central part of Washington state.
Where is this Forest?


Forest Products Permits

One must have a permit or other authorization to remove products from the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. Authorization to remove products falls under various programs.  

Gathering, harvesting, or collecting is prohibited inside the Legislated Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument, Wilderness Areas, Research Natural Areas, Experimental Forests, and other administratively closed areas. Check with local Ranger District Office for other restrictions.

Special Forest Products

The Gifford Pinchot issues permits for several forest products. Visit the Special Forest Products and regulations page to learn more about Special Forest Products, when you need a permit, what kind of permit to obtain, and regulatory information. Special Forest Products include:

Edible Products


Wood Products

* To obtain a permit and more information contact your nearest Ranger District office.

Other Products

Rocks and Minerals

  • The removal of rocks and minerals falls under the jurisdiction of the Minerals program. Contact the Gifford Pinchot National Forest for authorization to remove rocks or minerals from the Forest. Please see the Rocks and Minerals page for more information about the removal of rocks and minerals from the Forest. 


  • The Gifford Pinchot authorizes the harvest of timber through competitively bid timber sale contracts. For a list of sales currently offered for bid please see the section "Timber Sales" at the bottom of the Resource Management page.

Hunting and Fishing

  •  The State of Washington manages the animal populations and the capture or harvest of animals is governed by the laws of Washington State. Contact the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife ( for authorization to capture or harvest animals.  See the Recreation sectiont to find out more about Hunting and Fishing opportunities on the Gifford Pinchot National Forest.


Beargrass in Focus

By Yasmeen Sands, Pacific Northwest Research Station, U.S. Forest Service