Forest Products are forest resources not associated with timber sale contracts but are used for personal, commercial, and scientific purposes. Examples are firewood, mushrooms, moss, transplants, Christmas trees, cones, and boughs.
General Harvesting Regulations
Harvest may be restricted by:
- Season or time of year
- Usually required for personal and commercial uses
- Most personal and all commercial permits require a fee
- Prices vary by product
- Minimum charge is $20.00 per permit (except for Christmas Trees)
- Failure to have a permit may result in a fine
- Permittee must be 18 years of age or older
Information Needed to Buy Your Permit
- Valid photo identification (state drivers license, state id, passport, greencard.)
- Current address
- Information on the vehicle that will be used to harvest the product (license number, year, make, model, color)
When and Where to Buy a Permit
Please call ahead to check for the availibilty of the product you wish to harvest.
- Hebo District Office: Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Waldport Office: Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Oregon Dunes Visitor Center: Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Siuslaw Headquarters in Corvallis: Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Do Your Part
- Harvest products in a caring and ecologically sound way
- Follow the terms and conditions on your permit
- Harvesting is prohibited in Botanical Areas, Research Natural Areas, Scenic Areas, and Wilderness Areas
- Please only harvest plants that are on the list of plants. Harvesting rare, threatened, or endangered plants is ILLEGAL
||Unit of Measure
|Alder Puddle Sticks
||Size = 1 to 4 X 12
||Douglas-fir, Hemlock, Sitka Spruce, and Western Red Cedar.
||Permits are only sold in 500 pound increments and are for 15 consecutive days.
||Available Species are Douglas-fir, Sitka Spruce, and Western Red Cedar. The Siuslaw N.F. has little to no Grand Fir, Noble Fir, Blue Spruce or Pines.
|Commercial Ornamental Cones (dry)
||Permit only for cones on the ground.
|Commercial Seed Cones (green)
|Price depends on species.
||Not commercial greenery.
||These permits are sold on every District as an individual 1-month permit for $100.00 or a 3-month permit for $300.00. This permit is only good for harvesting salal, huckleberry, dwarf Oregon grape, and fiddleheads/sword fern.
|Firewood (More information)
|Mushrooms Commerical Matsutake (More Information)
One hundred permits available for sale. One permit per person. Permits will be sold on a first come, first served basis.
|Mushrooms Other Commercial Species (More Information)
|For a 30 day permit.
For a one year permit.
|Mushrooms - Incidental Use (More Information)
||Up to 1 gallon per day of which only 6 may be matsutake.
||Moss permits are currently not being sold.
|Post, Poles, and Rails
||Sold only under special circumstances.
|Transplants: Trees, shrubs, plants, or grasses
|For sizes under 4 feet.
For sizes over 4 feet.
Plants Approved For Harvesting With A Forest Product Permit
Big Leaf Maple
Western Red Cedar
Dwarf Oregon Grape
Red Flowering Current
Twin Berry Vine Maple
False Solomon's Seal
Queen Anne's Lace