Purchase the Forest Visitor Map by mail (see below).
View and download topographic maps free here
Ouachita National Forest
Trail guides. Information about hiking (HI), mountain biking (MB), equestrian (EQ), OHV/ATV (OHV), motorcycle (MC) and interpretive (IN) trails. (Miles are length of trail.) [Nearest town]
- TR-01GEN Ouachita National Recreation Trail-General Map (HI, MB, 192 miles) [Various towns]
- TR-01DET Ouachita National Recreation Trail-Detailed Map (HI, MB, 192 miles) [Various towns}
- TR-02 Boardstand/Military Road (HI, EQ, MB, MC, 23.1 miles) [Talihina, OK]
- TR-03 Winding Stair Equestrian (HI, EQ, MB, 77 total miles) [Heavener, OK]
- TR-03-SYS Oklahoma Horse Trails-The Black Horse Trail System
- TR-04 Cedar Lake/Old Pine (HI, IN, 3 miles) [Heavener, OK]
- TR-05 Horsethief Springs (HI, 11.2 miles) [Talihina, OK]
- TR-06 Kerr (HI, IN, 2 miles max.) [Talihina, OK]
- TR-07 Billy Creek (HI, EQ, 7 to 10 miles) [Talihina, OK]
- TR-08 Black Fork Mountain (HI, EQ, 6 miles) [Mena, AR]
- TR-09 Mountain Top Trail (HI, MB, 0.9 to 1.7 miles) [Talihina, OK]
- TR-10 Earthquake Ridge (HI, MB, 6.8 miles) [Mena. AR]
- TR-11 Wolf Pen Gap (HI, MB, EQ, MC, OHV, 35 miles) [Mena, AR]
- TR-12 Caney Creek (HI, EQ, 17.5 miles) [Mena, AR]
- TR-13 Shady Lake (HI, MB, 3.2 miles) [Mena, AR]
- TR-14 Fourche Mountain (HI, EQ, MB, MC, OHV, mileage varies) [Waldron, AR]
- TR-15 Big Brushy Trail Complex (HI, MB, mileage varies) [Oden, AR]
- TR-16 Serendipity (HI, IN, 1.5 maximum) [Oden, AR]
- TR-17 Womble (HI, MB, 37.8) [Oden/Mt. Ida]
- TR-18 Athens-Big Fork (HI, MB, 10.1) [Mt. Ida, AR]
- TR-19 Little Missouri (HI, MB, 16) [Mt. Ida, AR]
- TR-20 Charlton (HI, MB, 4.3) [Mt. Ida, AR]
- TR-21 Hole in the Ground (HI, 3.6) [Booneville, AR]
- TR-22 Bear Creek ( HI, EQ, MB, 45 total) [Jessieville, AR]
- TR-23 Possum Kingdom (HI, MB, 11) [Jessieville, AR]
- TR-24 Hunt's Loop (HI, 4.3) [Jessieville, AR]
- TR-25 Friendship (HI, IN, 0.9) [Jessieville, AR]
- TR-26 Little Blakely (HI, MB, 17.9 total) [Jessieville, AR]
- TR-27 Lake Sylvia (HI, IN, 0.8 max.) [Perryville, AR]
- TR-28 Buffalo Gap (HI, MB, 9) [Jessieville, AR]
- TR-29 Wildcat Mountain (HI, MB, 10.5) [Perryville, AR]
- TR-30 Sugar Creek-hiking (HI, 3.5) [Booneville, AR]
- TR-31 Sugar Creek-multiuse (HI, EQ, MB, MC, OHV, 36.7) [Booneville, AR]
- TR-32 Beech Creek (HI, 32.5) [Heavener, OK]
- TR-33 Viles Branch (HI, EQ, MB, 26) [Mt. Ida, AR]
- TR-34 Danville Mountain (HI, MB, IN, 1.5) [Danville, AR]
- TR-35 Orchard Trail (HI, IN, 0.5) [Mena, AR]
- TR-36GEN Eagle Rock Loop-General Map (HI, MB, 26.8 [Mt. Ida, AR]
- TR-36DET Eagle Rock Loop-Detail Map (HI, MB, 26.8) [Mt. Ida, AR]
- TR-37 Lake Ouachita Vista-LOViT (HI, MB, 20-plus) [Mt. Ida, AR]
- Roads and Trails Open to OHVs in the Billy Creek Area [Talihina, OK]
Ouachita National Forest
Recreation Area guides. Guides to campgrounds, day use areas, float camps and other recreation opportunities.
Recreation Area Map: Locations of the recreation areas described in the guides.
Forest Visitor Maps are currently unavailable except there is a limited supply available through the Cradle of Forestry Interpretive Association at The Forest Place Store at www.theforestplace.com or by calling 828-884-5713, Ext. 217.
- The color Forest Visitor Map--useful for determining general location of roads, trails and other recreation sites (limited availability through the Forest Place Store) -
- Interactive Forest Visitor Map is also available online.
- Forest Visitor Maps are available for purchase for mobile devices here
- Topographic Maps—For an index and snapshots of forest topographic maps, click on the following links:
The Ouachita National Forest has discontinued topographic map sales.
The Forest Visitor map can be ordered on-line through the Cradle of Forestry Interpretive Association at The Forest Place Store at www.theforestplace.com or by calling 828-884-5713, Ext. 217
Recreation Directory. A directory of the picnic areas, recreation sites and other recreational opportunities within the Ouachita National Forest.
Hunting: Hunting is permitted in the Forest. Arkansas Hunting Regulations apply. Check the current Arkansas Hunting Guidebook:
Weyerhaeuser Roads Open to the National Forest - Broken Bow, Oklahoma
Walk-In Turkey Hunting Areas. Guides to the nine quality walk-in turkey hunting areas in the Ouachita National Forest; opportunities to hunt on public lands managed by the USDA Forest Service in a place free of disturbance from motor vehicles.
• HA-00 Walk-In Turkey Hunting Areas Guide
• HA-01 Sharptop Mountain
• HA-02 Leader Mountain
• HA-03 Hogan Mountain
• HA-06 Shut-In Mountain
• HA-09 Well Hollow
Auto Tours. Travel the forest, visit points of special interest and enjoy scenery on an auto tour.
• Winona Scenic Drive
• Buffalo Gap
• Poteau Mountain
• Crystal Vista
Winding Stair Mountain National Recreation Area. View a guide to the Winding Stair Mountain National Recreation Area and the Talimena Scenic Drive where you can enjoy majestic views of forested mountains, interesting geologic formations and a great variety of flora and fauna. Discover a new place to camp, hike, bicycle, fish, enjoy scenic drives or just unwind and experience solitude.
Guide to Permitting Special Uses The Ouachita National Forest authorizes some recreational and other uses of public lands through a special use permit process. Typical recreational activities authorized by special use permits are geocaching (gee-oh cashing), competitive recreation events, outfitter or guiding services, or large groups of people (over 75). Common types of non-recreational activities permitted on the Forest are private driveways, power transmission or distribution lines, rural water lines, communication towers, and scientific research. All special use proposals are screened for consistency with the Forest Plan, law and policy. An annual land use fee is charged based on the type of special use permit, and most applications require the payment of a processing fee to cover part of the cost of issuing the permit. Those proposed uses that pass the screening process may receive a special use permit.