River and Stream Fishing
Below is a list of developed recreation areas along streams and rivers with easy access where you can fish. There are too many other streams and rivers to list here that do not have a developed recreation area on them. Many are in the back country, away from roads and trails - see Georgia DNR's Trout Stream Interactive Map. These back country fishing opportunities may be more challenging to reach but they offer a more secluded setting and remote experience.
New to fishing? Check out numerous volunteer partner groups who can teach you!
Groups like Georgia Trout Unlimited and it's local chapters help improve fish habitat on the national forest, as well as provide conservation education while teaching kids and adults to fish, sponsor kid and senior fishing rodeo events, or perform a host of other valuable services. Find volunteer groups on the web or on social media.
*NEW Georeferenced Fishing Maps available for download*
As a benefit to fishermen/women, a series of new maps are now available that depict trout streams on the forest, which are managed and stocked with trout. The maps stocked streams, delayed harvest streams, and other State fishing regulations.
Besides trout streams, these six large color maps display roads, seasonal road closures, trails, wilderness areas and recreation sites. These maps are being made available for the use and enjoyment of visitors to the Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forests, but are not intended for official use or enforcement of federal regulations. Data shown on these maps are for reference only. The U.S. Forest Service strives to obtain accurate and precise data, however, there are likely some errors in these data.
- Blue Ridge District (4.7MB)
- Chattooga River District (3.3MB)
- Conasauga District / Armuchee (1.8MB)
- Conasauga District / Cohutta (1.9MB)
All of these files require Adobe Reader or the Avenza mobile application for viewing. These maps are georeferenced for user convenience when using mobile applications, however printed copies are not available.
River and Stream Fishing Areas
- Blue Ridge Ranger District
- Boggs Creek Recreation Area
- Cooper Creek Recreation Area
- DeSoto Falls Recreation Area
- Deep Hole Recreation Area
- Frank Gross Recreation Area
- Mulky Campground
- Toccoa River Sandy Bottoms Recreation Area
- Waters Creek Day Use Area
- Chattooga River District
- Andrews Cove Campground
- Low Gap Campground
- Nancytown Day Use
- Sandy Bottoms Campground
- Sarah's Creek Campground
- Tallulah River Campground
- Tate Branch Campground
- Upper Chattahoochee River Campground
- West Fork Campground
- Wildcat Creek Campground #1 Lower
- Wildcat Creek Campground #2 Upper
- Wildcat Creek Road Corridor
- Conasauga Ranger District
- Hickey Gap Campground
- Oconee Ranger District
- Dyar Pasture Recreation Area
Alerts & Warnings
- Hitchiti Trail temporarily closed
- Black Gap Shelter temporarily closed
- Toddery Pole Rd/FS Road 86
- Lake Conasauga Reservation Only
- Recreation passes available online, by phone and in-person
- Road Closures on the Chattooga River Ranger District
- Coleman River Rd (FSR #54) Closure
- CAUTION Waterfall Dangers
- CALL BEFORE YOU HAUL - ATV and OHV
- Panther Creek Trail Temporary Hiker Restrictions
- Don't Move Firewood!