Two of our popular paved cycling opportunities, the Historic Columbia River Highway (HCRH) State Trail and Larch Mountain Road are open. Our interagency Ready, Set, Gorge map is a useful way to plan your trip along the HCRH -- we recommend you compare orange (no car) and purple (share the road with car) sections of the highway shown on the map so you know what to expect.
Coming Soon! A new segment will open on August 3, connecting Wyeth to Starvation Creek. Some obstacles may still be encountered on that section after August 3, as final construction touches are completed. Soon, the "final five" mile segment from Viento State Park to Hood River will be the only section between Portland and The Dalles where cyclists will have to use the shoulder of the interstate.
Remember these bike safety tips:
- Always wear a helmet.
- Ride the same direction as traffic.
- Signal when making turns.
- Ride single file.
- Obey traffic signals.
For additional road and mountain bicycling suggestions in the Gorge, please visit gorgeismygym.com and mbtproject.com
Road Cycling Areas
Alerts & Warnings
- Effective Oct 20, 2022: Closure Update: Eagle Creek Fire
- Wyeth Campground Water
- Dog Mountain Permits
- Drones prohibited in wilderness and select recreation sites
- Klickitat Mile One Overnight Use & Large Boat Launch Prohibition
- Guard against car theft
- Check road and weather conditions