Abundant annual snowfall and a variety of riding opportunities have helped establish the Payette National Forest as one of the premier snowmobile destinations in North America. Over one million acres of National Forest land are available for motorized, “over-the-snow” exploration and the McCall area is home to over 500 miles of groomed routes.
The Payette Winter Travel Map is the legal document that identifies designated routes and “open play areas” for over-the-snow vehicle use, as well as areas where motorized use is restricted or prohibited. Users operating over-the-snow vehicles within the National Forest are responsible for obtaining, understanding, and abiding by this resource. The map is available in digital format with GPS-referenced location from the Avenza Map Store free of charge.
Idaho requires that all participants register their snowmobile. Visit Idaho Parks and Recreation for current requirements. Snowmobile certificate of number vendors in the McCall/New Meadows area are listed below.
- Albertson's - McCall
- C & M Lumber – New Meadows
- Gravity Sports - McCall
- Mile High Power Sports – McCall
- No Business Lodge – McCall
- Stinker Store – Donnelly
To utilize nearly 280 miles of groomed trails within the National Forest, the Payette maintains five parking lots for snowmobile access. Two additional parking areas are maintained collaboratively with the Idaho Department of Lands. Valley County manages the maintenance and grooming of trails for snowmobile use throughout Valley, Idaho, and Adams Counties.
Snowmobile Parking Areas on the Forest:
- West Face - Located east of Highway 55 between Little Ski Hill and Brundage Mountain/Goose Lake Road
- Mill Creek - Located east of Highway 95 approximately 2.5 miles north of Council
- Hornet Creek - Located on the Council-Cuprum Road 14 miles from the junction with Highway 95
- Gordon Titus - Located on Goose Lake Road just before Brundage Mountain Resort approximately 4 miles north of Highway 55
- Price Valley - Located on Price Valley Road approximately 7 miles from Highway 95
- Francis Wallace - Located on Warren Wagon Road approximately 10 miles north of Highway 55
- Wallace Lane - Located in New Meadows off of Cemetery Road approximately 5 miles north of Highway 55
- Bear Basin/Brundage Mt., McCall Ranger District
- Brownlee Area, Weiser Ranger District
- Hornet Interpretive Site
- Price Valley Snowmobile Trailhead
- Mann Creek & Sturgill Mt. Area, Weiser RD
- McCall Recreation Area, McCall Ranger District
- Gordon Titus Parking Area
- Secesh/Warren/Elk Summit Area, McCall RD