Ice fishing in northern Minnesota can be great! The solitude and quiet out on the ice on a clear winter's day is inspiring, and the fish can be plentiful.
You do have to be prepared. Check ice thickness before venturing on to the ice. Carry 'ice picks' to be able to climb out in case you go through the ice, and a length of rope for rescues. Bring extra clothing in waterproof bags for a wet person to change into. Remember that cell phone service is spotty and you can not count on quick access to emergency services.
Remember as well that many forest roads are not plowed in the winter. You may wish to check with ranger district offices about winter access to lakes and ice conditions before you head out.
Ice Fishing Areas
Alerts & Warnings
- Flooding impacts BWCAW, Roads and Recreation Across Forest; ATV Trails Closed
- Greenwood Closure Area Updated May 10, 2022
- Closure: Some Trails End Campsites and Nearby Rec Areas
- Border Route Trail Tornado and Current Conditions
- Spring road wt restrictions: St Louis, Lake, Cook County, see Current Conditions
- Sturgeon River Trail Partial Closure