Alerts & Notices
- Linville Gorge Camping Permits
Area(s): Linville Gorge Wilderness area, Babel Tower Trail 240, Bynum Bluff Trail 241, Cabin Trail 246, Conley Cove Trail 229, Devils Hole Trail 244, Hawksbill Trail 245, Linville Gorge Trail 231, Pinch -In Trail 228, Rock Jock Trail 247, Spence Ridge 233
Date(s): Apr 24, 2021
Contact(s): Grandfather Ranger District office between 8:00 am and 4:30 pm at 828-652-2144
Permits are required to camp in the Linville Gorge Wilderness Area on Friday and Saturday nights and holidays beginning May 1 through October 31.
Permits are reservable by phone only. The Linville Gorge Information Cabin is currently closed and walk-up permits are not available at this time. Permits are only available via reservation and permit availability is limited.
To reserve a permit, call the Grandfather Ranger District office between 8:00 am and 4:30 pm at 828-652-2144. Demand is high so expect the phone line to be frequently busy. A group may have up to 10 people.
Alerts & Warnings
- Black Mountain and Briar Bottom Campground Closures
- Cheoah River, Cochran’s Creek River Access Facility Temporarily Closed
- Fontana Loop Trail TR157 and Portions of Bee Cove TR421 Temporarily Closed
- Point Lookout Trail will temporarily close for repairs beginning August 8, 2022
- Linville Gorge Camping Permits Required for Summer Weekends
- Be Bear Aware
- Catawba Falls Trail (TR 225) Closed
- Camping and other restrictions now in effect at Max Patch
- Nantahala RD: Multiple areas under construction
- Appalachian RD: NCDOT construction near Harmon Den may affect Forest access
- Grandfather RD: Old House Gap Rd (FS192) temporarily closed
- Recreate responsibly
- Joyce Kilmer Trail Lower Loop Closed due to rain damage
- Target Shooting prohibited on Croatan National Forest